LOOKING for: Meat analog recipies

borealisSeptember 17, 2002

Hello, everyone!

I am looking for recipies for meat analogs-I am using this term hoping to get more than the blank looks I receive when I call such things "fake meat". Does anyone know of places where I can find recipies for imitation hot dogs, "chicken" patties, etc? The products in stores are far too expensive, and many are not very particularly healthy or tasty. I have learned that freezing silken tofu gives it a stringy texture, but it can be rubbery, and I haven't been successful in flavouring or cooking it. After freezing silken tofu, there's a lot of water left over, though, unlike regular tofu, which looks (and tastes) like a bloated sponge after freezing. I am also curious as to how soybeans come to resemble hotdogs. . . this should not be possible, although how meat becomes hot dogs is not particularly palatable. Strange things, indeed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Happy gardening!

Borealis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulmyoung

Hi Borealis,

You might try www.vegweb.com. They have a HUGE recipie section including hundreds of do it yourself meat analogs.

Paul

Bookmark   September 20, 2002 at 4:46PM
borealis

Hello!

Thank you very much, Paul!

Happy gardening!

Borealis

Bookmark   September 20, 2002 at 5:26PM
jasper_austin

I like to make bulgar wheat "Mock Meatballs" and the recipe is from the Vegetarian Times cookbook.
Not vegan as there is an egg.
You mix up 2 cups uncooked bulgar and 1 tablespoon minced onion, dried oregano and ground black pepper (to taste) with a beaten egg. Make these into balls. You fry these in a little (or more than a little) olive oil until they're browned, then pour about a cup of tomato juice into the skillet, cover and simmer until the bulgar softens. you may have to add more juice.

Bookmark   September 21, 2002 at 9:56PM
borealis

Hello!

Thanks, Jasper_austin. I have tried something similar with TVP and couscous, but hopefully, the bulgar does not soak oil as readily as couscous.

Happy gardening!

Borealis

Bookmark   September 25, 2002 at 3:31PM
skizi

Here's a recipe that's good for "fooling" them to believe its meat! I have not eaten meat, chicken or fish for 33 years, and seem to be healthier than your normal old person.
Sunburgers:
1/2 C.grated carrots ------------------ oil
1/2c.fine chopped celery -------- 1/4c.tomato juice
TBL.ea.parsley,green pepper
1c.ground sunflower seed
1 egg beaten ---------- basil and salt

Combine ingredients,shape into patties,bake in oiled pan 15 min. @350, or just fry like hamburgers.

Bookmark   September 25, 2002 at 6:09PM
borealis

Hello!

Thank you, Skizi! It sounds good; I bake mine, too.

Happy gardening!

Borealis

Bookmark   September 27, 2002 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom
Share you favorite recipe with these buggers. I would...
Sara
RECIPE: spinach smoothie
Should I use the long stems that come with fresh Spinach...
okbonal9
recipe: sprouted bean salad with peanut sauce
A group of us get together for a potluck and movie...
jkom51
LOOKING for: vegetarian recipie
I have invited some friends for dinner this sunday....
sumitasilwal
RECIPE: Champion juicer
Hi, I'm looking for info on the Champion juicer, and...
liz_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™