RECIPE: urid dal & dal flour

baciSeptember 26, 2005

Does anyone have tips on seasoning urid dal? I have made a couple of dishes  it is a great tasting legume. I have found some recipes using asafetida. Does this herb affect the taste that much? Also, does anyone know a source? I want to try it because of its health effects.

Also, how is it cooked? The instructions I found were to pressure cook 1 cup/5 cups water, but I used about 3 cups of water & boiled it & it turned out fine. Has anyone ever tried cooking it in a rice cooker?

I served this to my non vegetarian friend the other day & he actually liked it. I had to serve it with meat to get him to eat it, but at least it got him to try this healthy dish.

Another question  I saw some gram flour the other day in the market & will try it next. Anyone have any tips on cooking with the flour?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baci

Bumping this down.

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 5:49AM
superbee

Hi,

You can try this simple recipe.

Pressure cook (you can also use a rice cooker) the urad dal.
In a pan, put one teaspoon of oil and when it is hot, add either mustard or cummin seeds.
Saute some onions and then tomatoes for 2 minutes and add the cooked urad dal to this. Cook for 2 more minutes. Serve with rice.

Hope this is of help.

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 11:20AM
baci

Thanks superbee  I thought I would not get any response. I will try your recipe  it sounds simple and flavorful. I thought of cooking it in a rice cooker  that would make things very easy. With my rice cooker, I can cook 2 things at the same time, which should get my meal preparation time down to about 20 minutes. I will have to see if they cook equally, however.
Dal is a very easy to prepare legume that even meat lovers like. It is no harder to prepare, & from your recipe - easier - than green split peas. At $2.30 for a 2 lb bag, it is also economical. In my opinion, vegetarian diets are more interesting and creative, as long as there is the constant quest for different veggies. Dal is not that uncommon, and should be a staple of vegetarian diets.

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 6:42AM
superbee

True. It is a great source of protein too. And you can cook any dal with this recipe I gave. As for the rice cooker, yeah if you cook two things at once, they cook equally well at the same time. At least that has been my experience :)

Enjoy.

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 4:59PM
superbee

True. It is a great source of protein too. And you can cook any dal with this recipe I gave. As for the rice cooker, yeah if you cook two things at once, they cook equally well at the same time. At least that has been my experience :)

Enjoy.

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 5:00PM
hald

I use asafetida when I'm cooking indian dishes. It is also called hing. I find it gives a sourness to flavors so I use it sparingly. -Hal

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 3:01AM
newgarderner

Real season to use asafetida(hing) is that the legumes are hard to digest and gasy, as goes with all high protein food. Hing helps reduce gas and to make it easy on stomach.
But use sparingly
hope this help

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 6:48PM
baci

Thanks all for your help and increasing my understanding of this legume. It makes me want to cook up another dish of dal. There is a herb used in Mexican cooking that also helps increase digestion but I can not stand the smell of it. I am going to have to try that hing.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Durum Atta Flour (Indian Whole Wheat)
Does anyone use durum atta flour, which is Indian whole...
talkingflower
RECIPE: Recipe: Persimmon & Goat Cheese tart
I have no idea where I got this recipe from, and it...
jkom51
LOOKING for: Portabella Mushroom Recipe help!
Hi, my boyfriend is a vegetarian and i'm trying to...
kitty_key
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom
Share you favorite recipe with these buggers. I would...
Sara
LOOKING for: vegetarian recipie
I have invited some friends for dinner this sunday....
sumitasilwal
Sponsored Products
Zojirushi Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker
$200.00 | FRONTGATE
Waring Breakfast Express Waffle and Omelet Maker
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Cast Iron Cookbook Stand - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Tablet Cradle by Legrand
$19.98 | Lumens
DeLonghi Gelato Maker
$299.95 | FRONTGATE