Questions about thinset mortar.
Some of these questions might seem stupid, but I'd like an answer from those who have used it because I'm about to undertake a project and one of the places I buy my stuff from hires people who don't know a darn thing about the department they work in the store. (They recently hired a friend of mine for the flooring department simply because she answered an 'area' question correctly on a survey. She knows nothing about flooring.)
I know from reading previous posts that it can be used as an adhesive and also be used as a 'grout'and that it does not need to be sealed. If my assumptions on these points are wrong, please let me know.
- Do you simply mix with water or are there other additives which must be mixed in?
- Can you mix small quantities at a time?
- How long before it sets and the pieces are 'glued'?
- How long can you have thinset in a bucket before it is no longer good to use?
- How long before you can place outside to the elements?
- Can you add colouring (water based paint) and if so does this affect the integrity of the product?
- Can this stuff withstand freeze and thaw and be left out in the winter?
My plan is to purchase some stepping stones, glue some porcelain tiles in a fish pattern to them, grout, then place a path around our home symbolizing a school of fish. The main issue here is that taking these stepping stones inside every fall would be out of the question so they would have to remain outside.
Any info would be great!