remove creases from old newspaper

terri_ksSeptember 23, 2006

I have some old newspapers that have letters published in them my Grandfather wrote and sent back to his hometown during WWI. They have been folded up all these years and I would like to flatten them out and frame. I do not know if I should try an iron or steam or even how to approach this. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't know what to do, either, but you might call a museum and ask them.

    Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Terri, you might try ironing them by putting a hand towel over them first. I think even an older kitchen towel that might be kind of thinner than a hand towel might get the heat to the paper better. If you have the whole newspaper(s) you might try a page or two that you're not going to use and see how it works. Steam - try it on your sample page first. The only other thing I can think of is flatting it, over time, between heavy books like they do for dried floral. Let us know how it worked and please post a pic of the final project as it seems like a great one and wonderful memories for you from your Grandfather.


    Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 10:20AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™