RECIPE: No Salt-Vegan Margarine

joeygirlz51August 30, 2007

Does anyone out there know of a Vegan margarine that doesn't have salt. So many recipes call for salt free butter and I don't want to use that.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
looser

If you are not too worried about the sodium content of your food, you can probably just use salted vegan margarines. Most recipes, even for cakes and cookies, direct you to add a teaspoon of salt. If you use salted margarine, you can just skip the additional salt.
You could also use vegan shortening, I think they don't add any salt to shortening. Erth Balance supposedly makes a healthy vegan shortening.

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 9:57AM
joeygirlz51

I do use Earth Balance vegan margarine and also the shortening. If the two are interchangeable that would be great. I do have a problem with salt, so thus the question. Baking with shortening is a bit different isn't it? I mean it will change the texture of your dough.I've read that margarine has more water in it then shortening, so the amount of liquid you use in a recipe might have to be lessened slightly. I should give the shortening a go and see how this works. Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 5:03PM
looser

You are right, shortening is plain fat while margarine and butter contain approximately 20% water. The containers of shortening normally tell you how to substitute shortening for butter or margarine. A cup of shortening plus 6 teaspoons of water equals 1 cup of margarine.

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 6:08PM
joeygirlz51

You know I never looked on the earth balance container to see what it said regarding substituting..I will have to check it out, thanks again!

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: vegetarian recipie
I have invited some friends for dinner this sunday....
sumitasilwal
RECIPE: spinach smoothie
Should I use the long stems that come with fresh Spinach...
okbonal9
RECIPE: Champion juicer
Hi, I'm looking for info on the Champion juicer, and...
liz_h
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom
Share you favorite recipe with these buggers. I would...
Sara
LOOKING for: what to use for vegan cooking to replace milk or cr
I am moving away from recipes with dairy and would...
shermp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™