Old wooden window

lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PASeptember 18, 2010

Had this old window all summer long and just got to removing the glass from it. I think I will put a mirror behind it and hang it on the wall. Not sure yet. I've seen lots of things done with windows. Although, it has the part that opens, so that's kind of different. Hmmmmm...

Want to share your creation?? I love seeing pics!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tasymo

How much space is there behind the window that opens? That would make a really cool shadow box. I've been wanting to try some of the "mirror" spray paint they are making now, to spray on glass. I wonder how that would have looked on the textured glass you removed? Very cool window, lady alicia. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 12:18PM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

You know, I was going to ask about those pieces of glass, what I could do with them, if anything. I had four that were fine; the other two broke trying to get them out. And the window that opens kind of opens in half. My camera is dead right now, but I'll try to upload the picture later when I get it off of my camera.
I'm thinking I could maybe try that mirror spray paint on the glass and put them into picture frames and do some sort of collage maybe. Didn't even know they made such a thing. Do you think the craft stores have it, or like a home improvement store?

Thanks for the ideas!
Alicia

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 3:06PM
tasymo

I haven't actually looked for the paint in stores yet, but Krylon makes it. I saw on a blog somewhere where someone used it inside clear glass vases to make faux mercury glass. I would imagine Hobby Lobby or Michael's might carry it.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 11:23PM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

I'm going to take a look next time I'm at Michael's. Bad thing is, my husband threw those pieces of glass away! ARGH! I'm so upset about it. I put them in a box so my toddler wouldn't get cut on them or play with them, and my husband thought it was garbage and threw them away. Oh, well. I guess now I have something new to look for at a trash store, or Goodwill ..... or glass plant! LOL I'm so mad, though. It figures. I was really excited about painting those too!

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 11:44PM
greensuzq

I saw the glass paint at Hobby Lobby in MI a couple of days ago. Didn't see it at Michael's, but that doesn't mean they don't have it. I didn't buy any because my cart was filled with other projects, but it is on my list.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 1:27PM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

There's a Hobby Lobby in Ohio where my daughter goes to college. Maybe I could get her to pick some up for me. And guess what? I did keep the glass! I thought my husband threw it away, but I put the broken pieces in the box, not the good pieces. I forgot that I had set the good ones aside on my table out back. I was so excited when I saw them tonight! :) Plus, I found three other square pieces of frosted glass that were in lights in our old drop ceiling. So those would be good also because they have a texture to them. I hit the jackpot tonight! LOL Now I just need to find that paint. :) I'll check with our Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics. Maybe I'll luck out.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 8:11PM
sorie6

Can't wait to see your finished project!! Good luck.
Great windows.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 7:36PM
leveta

Did you give your DH a kiss and a hug to make up...LOL...Glad you found them...

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 9:04AM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

Leveta - Yeah, I guess I should have given him a kiss and hug, huh? I was so thrilled that they were still here. He came home and said, wow, where were they? I told him I cleaned up out back there they were on the tray I had put them on. I completely forgot that I did that, and then I had thrown other stuff on top of the tray.

Sorie6 - I'm thinking of maybe attaching a small window box onto the window at the bottom and planting flowers in it maybe. I saw that in my one magazine. I still have to sand it down. I like the chippy look it has, but I'm afraid to leave it like that in case it's lead paint. I'll probably just repaint it. I did just pick up a metal box at the Goodwill (posted pic of it in my other post), so maybe I can use that at the bottom of the window. We'll see.....

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
Sponsored Products
Flax Gold Vintage Textured Faux Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 84
$54.95 | Bellacor
Blue Star Group Umbrella Lights TERRACE MATES Caleo Standard 5-Piece Patio
Home Depot
Horizontal Flat Sheer Shading. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Each 96"L Avalon Curtain
$160.00 | Horchow
Stone Mill Satin Nickel 3.5-inch Door Hinges (Box of 2)
Overstock.com
Austin White Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Paw Print Door Knocker
The City Farm
Jakarta Cocoa Bamboo Roman Shade
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™