LOOKING for: info on agar agar

MarlaJune 20, 2001

Hi-

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to use the veg gelatin alternative agar agar in a marshmallow recipe. Should I use the same amound as gelatin? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elemedica_aol_com

When using agar as a dairy-free pudding base, 2 TBSPNS of agar, melted slowly over a small non-reactive saucepan containing a mixture of 1 8-10 oz. jar of all fruit sweetened organic jam and 2 jam jars of spring water over medium heat until completely dissolved, cooled, refrigerated, set. The mixture can be served chunky or blended until smooth.

Health note:

Naturopathic Physician, Peter D'Adamo in his book Live Right For Your Type recommends that people with non-secretor B blood subtype avoid agar.

Naturopathic Doctors Joseph Pizzorno and Michael Murray write in their Textbook of Natural Medicine (p. 510) that Agar, kosher gelatin, Alginic acid, and carageenan are polysaccharide seaweed derivatives used extensively as thickening agents by the food and health and beauty industries. They point out that alginate, like other gel-forming fibers, has been shown to inhibit heavy metal intake in the gut.

Unlike other plant polysaccharides, carageenan, (a common thickening ingredient in toothpaste, cottage cheese, milk chocolate, ice cream and even some non-dairy confections, cream soups and dairy-alternative rice and almond milks) adversely affects the intestinal mucosa. In rat studies, it induced ulcer formation in the cecum and increased risks of cancer and birth defects, among others. At page 1339, in a chapter entitled Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis) Drs. Murray and Pizzorno note studies showing that carageenan can serve as a hospitable environment for the growth of Bacteriodes vulgatus, a bacterial strain found in much higher fecal concentrations in people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Until more is known, Drs. Pizzorno and Murray recommend strict avoidance of carrageenan for those looking to live well with IBS.

Bookmark   June 27, 2001 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: asking for advise
which essential oil will be helpful for coking food?...
opsy135
RECIPE: vegtable storage
In the summer time you can just go out to the garden...
ancient11
LOOKING for: Raisin Bread
Anyone have a T&T recipe for raisin bread that...
pink_warm_mama_1
RECIPE: Looking for vegan breakfast ideas
I don't get hungry till I have been at work for an...
nancyjane_gardener
Broom corn-bulk for consumption?
Does anyone know where I could buy broom corn seeds...
iowariver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™