LOOKING for: soy beans

ElsMaMaJune 1, 2002

I've recently started shopping at a new grocery store that has a wider variety of vegetarian products than the one I was shopping. I noticed that they sell soy beans (frozen) and was wondering if anyone has any recipes using these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salena

The only time I have eaten 'fresh' soy beans they were steamed, and you could not eat the 'shells'. They were discarded. I have cooked dried soy beans........just like dried pintos only it takes longer.

Bookmark   June 8, 2002 at 9:40AM
ElsMaMa

That's the only thing I could think of to do with them. I'll have to try it. I guess not many people have tried them because I haven't found ANY recipes using them. I'll have to experiment.

Bookmark   June 9, 2002 at 5:46PM
varshal

You can use these fresh soy beans in the salads like peas. Also you can cook them with onions and some spices. It tastes good. We have been eating fresh soy beans for a long time now.

Bookmark   June 12, 2002 at 12:44PM
ElsMaMa

I'll try that too. I think they'll taste really good with the onions and spices!

Bookmark   June 13, 2002 at 12:48PM
Judith

I grew them in my garden for a couuple of years and I love soybeans, especially the green ones. I learned that the shells are much easier to remove if they are imersed in very hot water for a couple of minutes. I always just cooked them and served them with butter, salt, and pepper. However, since I have had thyroid surgery and am on thyroid medication, I have to limit my eating soy products. I still get them when I see them which isn't often. Judith

Bookmark   June 19, 2002 at 5:35PM
moggy_moo

I make them into a chow-chow- with chopped peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes, corn, olives, cucumber, zucchini, avocado, whatever is on hand. I like it with a sweet lime juice-corn oil dressing. A little cilantro, some chipolte pepper. Eaten cold.

Bookmark   June 21, 2002 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom
Share you favorite recipe with these buggers. I would...
Sara
LOOKING for: Morningstar Farms
Hello fellow veggies; I was wondering what everyone...
michele in ATL
RECIPE: spinach smoothie
Should I use the long stems that come with fresh Spinach...
okbonal9
RECIPE: Boiling lemons for pickling
I was watching an old Indian movie last night. A documentary....
albert_135
LOOKING for: vegetarian recipie
I have invited some friends for dinner this sunday....
sumitasilwal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™