RECIPE: Pinto Beans

SandyMay 22, 2001

A very simple and overlooked dish is just plain beans. My favorites are Pintos, cooked in a crock pot is the way I do them. No pre soaking, just lots of water and let 'em cook 4-5 hours or all day.

Season with salt to taste and serve with french bread or steamed corn tortillas, salsa and a green salad. The earthy taste of pinto beans plain is out of this world. You can make chili with the leftovers but enjoy the plain taste of beans while they are fresh. We used to have "bean feeds" when I was a kid at the stable where I kept my horse and this is what they served. Its a cheap dish for big crowds too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angel_despammed_com

Yum, I agree, Sandy, the simple dishes are often the best! I love pinto beans... hadn't thought of having them with tortillas, I usually make cornbread, but I like your suggestions!

Tomorrow's a holiday, sounds like a good day to get some going....

Bookmark   May 27, 2001 at 7:50PM
mburns_citynet_net

The best flavoring I've found for pintos is a ham hock. gives it a real smokey taste.

Bookmark   May 27, 2001 at 9:37PM
hoticetea_erols_com

Yeah, ham hocks make beans take great, but if you're a vegetarian - - oh well.

Bookmark   May 28, 2001 at 9:38AM
davinort

Sandy, can you please clarify "how much beans" and "how much water" in "what size crockpot?"

Bookmark   June 14, 2001 at 12:53PM
ssandy_visto_com

Every bag of pinto beans has a recipe for cooking. I pick the rocks out, dump in the crock pot and cover with about 2 to three inches of water and turn on high. They cook in about 4-5 house. Add water if if gets down to bean level.

Any other seasoning but salt (ham hocks, spices) detracts from the earthy pinto bean taste. Try them just plain and see how good they are.

Bookmark   August 7, 2001 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: New to Juicing..
My DH and I just bought a juicer!. Today, we bought...
mommap
LOOKING for: vegetarian recipie
I have invited some friends for dinner this sunday....
sumitasilwal
RECIPE: Recipe: Persimmon & Goat Cheese tart
I have no idea where I got this recipe from, and it...
jkom51
LOOKING for: Portabella Mushroom Recipe help!
Hi, my boyfriend is a vegetarian and i'm trying to...
kitty_key
LOOKING for: Why did you become a vegetarian
For animal cruelty reasons, better health, any other?...
HNP
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™