RECIPE: Are your peppercorns laced with allspice?

mama goose_gw zn6OHMay 22, 2010

Hi, everyone, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but I need some information.

I've been using whole peppercorns for years--I buy black pepprc0rns, and a black, green, white, and pink mix, from a reputable health food store. I buy small plastic bags of the mix, and store in a glass jar to protect from humidity and 'varmints'. The last batch of mixed peppercorns that I purchased has allspice mixed in. I didn't notice this until I opened the glass jar where I store my peppercorns, and got a strong scent of allspice. I tasted the berries in question, and yes, they have a slight clove taste, just like allspice. Has anyone else encountered this?

I called the health food store, and at first they said it was probably pepper, until I told them about the taste test, when they offered my money back.

'Variety is the sp!ce of life' (har-har), but this is too much variety for me. I guess I can pick out the allspice berries, but I have a large amount of them already, and why should I pay for allspice, when I want pepper? And, I can mix them myself, if that's what I want to do. Will my peppercorns smell or taste of allspice, now that they've been stored together?

Thank you all for any info.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I wouldn't be buying peppercorns from that store any more....order from Pensey....good spices!
Linda C

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 2:26PM
moosemac

And I thought I was the only one with this problem! I purchased a tri-color peppercorn mix from the Christmas Tree Shop becuase I was there, it was cheap and I need some for the cabin. I ground some on my mashed potatoes. YUCK! The potatoes tasted like allspice. I tossed the potatoes and the remaining peppercorns. Never again....

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 2:31PM
Rusty

Are they already bagged when you get them, or do you get them from open bins?
I have learned from experience to be very VERY careful when buying from open bins, no matter how reputable the store is.
I have no idea whether or not your Peppercorns will have the Allspice flavor or not, but since the store offered your money back, take them back.

Rusty

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 3:09PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Thanks, everyone, for answering so quickly.

The store re-packages bulk spices under their own label. It's in a 'college town' about 1 1/2 hours drive from me, so I don't get there often. The first time I used their products was late 1970's, when someone gave me a jar of spices as a gift, so I felt confident buying from them. Maybe the allspice was a packaging mistake, and they did offer my money back, so I'll take the spices back next time I'm in town.

PS, that is some good allspice--I can still taste it!

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: easy tofu recipes
I'd like to start using tofu instead of meat, but I've...
ElsMaMa
RECIPE: Sauteed Tofu - Help
The most lucious sandwich (to me) is sauteed tofu with...
pink_warm_mama_1
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom
Share you favorite recipe with these buggers. I would...
Sara
RECIPE: Vegetable juice
Who owns a juicer? What vegetable do you use in juicing...
starraffy
RECIPE: Organic or Vegetarian would live healthier?
Just wondering how other people view organic vs vegetarian...
gardengardengardenga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™