Glue for glass

spage1May 26, 2008

I need to find a glue that will glue 2 pieces of glass together and dry clear. It should be stable in hot weather. Can someone help me with this. Thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Mac Glue has been recommended as one of the best. Below is a link where I purchased mine. I was very happy with the service they provide. I bought two bottles of Mac glue to use for gluing glass on glass (GOG) but I haven't started the project yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryland Mosaics adhesives page

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 9:47AM
nicethyme

silva is right, Mac is highly recomended. It is only availble on line. Weldbond and GEII silicone are both decent choices too.

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 10:39AM
mmqchdygg

hold on and I'll try to find the GOG glue test thread for you (if someone else hasn't already bumped it)

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 10:21AM
spage1

I read the bumped up test thread, what great info. Thanks to mmqchdygg for bumping it up. I am wanting to do some garden totems using vases, plates, jars etc. I went to my goodwill yesterday and bought a trunk full of things. My husband thought I was crazy, again!!! He will love them once I get them made and in the flower beds. Thanks again for the post and info.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 1:29AM
gils

About 10 years ago. i glued 2small pieces of mirror together with fishing line in between i made a very long garland doing this every 6 inches. I strung it all over an arbor in a shady part of my garden and it catches the light beautifully. It is in perfect shape still not one piece of glass has fallen off and it stays out all winter in our wonderful extreme -20 degrees or lower. I used GE11 exterior. even the mirror is still in perfect shape. Here is abad pic. you can see the little squares of mirror. not a great shot but you can see they are out there.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/draig123/IMG_0119foggy2.jpg[/IMG]

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 12:38AM
gils

oops wrong code this should work

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 12:46AM
cindiloo

Oh, I like that idea....I like the way your garden wears her winter coat...bet it's just beautiful in bloom!

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 1:04AM
pinkcb

Locktite 349 or Locktite Hysol will do exactly what you're looking for. I use them for g-o-g and they stay out all year round in a harsh climate.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 7:21PM
spage1

Hello again. Thanks to all who have replied. I really admire everyones work here, it is inspiring. I chose to use the GEII only because of immediate availability. I will order MAC when I am ready to do more. Now my question is- Since this is a silicone base will the pieces have movement at the joints? One piece I did has a lot of movement,even after cure time, where 2 pieces join. I am worried it will come apart when I place it in the garden. It is also my best piece. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks again

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 11:51PM
yell_rose

When you say there is movement in the joints, are you saying the top piece of glass is moving? Did you press the 2 pieces together tightly? Did both fit together without any rocking? Some times you can get a tiny spot of dried sil. under another piece and it doesnt make good contact, allowing movement. I've done several GOG w/ sil. and there isn't any movement when dry. As mentioned, the grout should firm up any small amount of 'give' you may have.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 12:22PM
redcrowarts

I also use the GEII silicone for glass - I love it. Never had tried the MAC on anything - I will tuck it in my hat for the future

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 9:45PM
brendak_59

Has anyone used 527 multi-purpose cement on GOG?
It says it is water resistant and it dries crystal clear.

Brenda

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 10:42PM
texasfern

Ok, silly question. I was Home Depot to get some of the GEII stuff. Is it a caulk? Could someone maybe post a picture of the container? I am familiar with Weldbond, but would really like to try this GE stuff.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 11:30PM
redcrowarts

it is a form of caulk and it comes in clear or off white I think is the other color. It is red/white tube and looks like a tube of toothpaste for the smaller one. 2.8 oz. It says kitchen and bath on it. 100% silicone sealant. I hope that helps my battery is dead in camera

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 12:32AM
texaswild

TEX: I use the one w/the calking gun - it's less expensive than in the squeeze tube, and if you get it at Walmart, it's $1.00 cheaper than at Lowes. Windows/Doors is the one most people use, but I've even used the Kitchen/Bath when I mosaiced my house number surround and seasonal shelf. Since I still can't get to Photobuckets, I've started transferring pictures to Flickr, but don't know how to navigate their system yet, so this is an experiment. BTW - all those tubes and MORE are all past their expiry date - waaaaahhhaaa - money down the drain! Oh, it also comes in black
GEII

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 8:55AM
redcrowarts

slowmedown - is it akward using the caulking gun? I worried it would be bulky so have stuck to the tubes.

flickr is great if you need any help just email me

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 9:41AM
texaswild

Oh, RED - I squeeze out a small bit on the back of an old Correll plate, then use a small painter's pallet knife to spread a little on the substrate, then stick the tesserae down. I've almost excluded silicon from my workshop - fumes too dangerous, and it's too hot here now to work w/it outside.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 11:09AM
redcrowarts

am I the only one that does not smell the silicon. I have never ever noticed a smell from it. Maybe the fumes have eaten my smeller! I see how you do it now - I just dab it on directly from the small tube on each piece and it works well for me. thanks for sharing

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 2:29PM
nicethyme

very rarely will I smell anything when using GEll, occasionally when I get to the end of a tube I smell something like the old hair perm chemicals. Other than that, I smell nothing.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 6:11PM
curbdiver1954

To keep from wasting the GEII since it skims over while I'm fiddling with tesserae placement, I gun it into a large syringe from the vet's. Then I can simply squish out as much as needed for each piece, place it and go on. If I run out of time and have to stop before a syringe is empty, I stick a push pin in the hole, draw the plunger back and let it in effect self seal. Might have a little cured plug attached to the pin when I'm ready to resume, but other than that very little waste. To plug the end of the caulk tube, use a medium diameter nail and some tape.

I am switching more to the thinset, but still working out how to keep it from setting up as quickly......maybe I just need to cut loose and work faster!! LOL!!

Pat

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
Sponsored Products
Swanstone Shower Units 36 in. x 96 in. Two Piece Easy Up Adhesive Shower Wall
Home Depot
Laminate Stair Treads: Cap A Tread Flooring Beech Blocked 47 in. Long x 12-1/8
$49.98 | Home Depot
Laminate Molding & Trim: Home Legend Building Materials Newport Oak 6.35 mm
$29.98 | Home Depot
Gervin Leather Ottoman - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Korver Leather Bench - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture