The scrap box (get out your tissues!)

bruggirl100September 25, 2005

When my best friend's mother died, we spent weeks cleaning out all her clutter, especially in her sewing room. She was a seamstress by trade, and had made most of their clothes when they were young, including their wedding gowns and the bridesmaids' dresses) One day we found a large box marked "keepsakes". When we opened it, we found a square of cloth from every thing she had made for her kids. They were all wrapped in tissue and put into plastic bags and all had little tags pinned on them, and went back to 1948, when my friend's sister was born. The oldest one was a square of white cotton used to make her sister's christening gown. There were scraps tagged "Kelly's first day of school", "Susan's first easter", it went on and on. The latest was "Quilt for Adam" (Kelly's son, and her last grandchild. She made each grandchild a quilt). That was the last thing she made, because her arthritis got too bad for her to sew anymore.

We all sat crying as we pulled out scrap after scrap of memories. There were some for me, one for my bridesmaid's dress, and one from a skirt she had made for me to wear to a school party, a purse she had made me out of my old jeans, an easter dress she made me when I was 10 and my parents were having hard times. I was the only non-family member in the box, and that day, I realized that she had considered me her child too. All the times I had called her Mother and she had called me Daughter, and I had just thought it was words to her.

I have those scraps framed with a picture of my "Other Mother", my best friend and myself taken when we were 12 years old. My friend and her sister split up their scraps, and framed some with pictures of their mom, and the others, they still keep.

Sometimes, trash really is a treasure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheri_C

What a great story. And yes, I need a tissue. What a special mother she was. Those are the most precious treasures indeed. And how wonder for you to be part of that family. Friends are a great treasure also.
Cheri

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 1:35PM
coloredthumb

Another tissue please. OMG how wonderful. Love in the hands and hearts of some people goes so far and so long.
More tissue. Joyous tears!

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 2:31PM
techsupport8

Oh. My. . . . . that IS a wonderful heart warming story.

You are lucky to have people like that in your life and even wealthier to appreciate them as you so obviously do.

Bless you and your "other" family.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 5:01PM
des_arc_ya_ya

Read techsupport's post and put "Ya Ya" in front of it. That post expressed my feelings exactly.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 7:23PM
minnie_tx

What a great thing!!! It would make a perfect table top book!!

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 12:40AM
mzmarty

This is such a sweet story. She was a good and careing lady. Sometimes at funeral you hear things about the deceased you wish you had known before they died. This would sure be in that catagory for me. We southerns have a saying for times like this, "bless her heart". Appropriate, don't you think?

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 5:41PM
bruggirl100

LOL! "Bless her heart" is appropriate here.

It is also appropriate when you are being catty, i.e. "Bless her heart, she just can't seem to keep those children under control!"

Southern women can say the meanest things with the sweetest smiles on their faces! I should know, I am one. ;o)

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 7:07PM
junkmama

Oh that is so very special. I am about to cry with you all.
What a wonderful way to preserve their history.

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 7:27PM
kacram

Very very cool indeed. You ARE lucky to have such people in your life!

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 6:07PM
jannie

Beautiful story.

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 9:21AM
jiju

What a wonderful sweet story! Got to go get a tissue, im a blubbering mess!

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™