Need Ideas for making rolling table

freezengirlSeptember 16, 2006

Hi Everybody,

I lost track of what I wanted to ask while checking out all of your projects!

I am living in a seriously tiny home and had to pass along my wonderful table and chairs to my sister. My sister then found a piece of granite 26 inches wide by 6 feet long for me to create my own table/island. It needs to be on castors so that I can move it out of the way when not in use. I am so excited about her find but am at a loss as to what to use to support it. I had watched a program on HGTV where they made a table using plumbing pipe attached to a piece of 3/4 plywood with the slab on top but I lost the directions. Is there any chance that any of you might have either directions or a link to it? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated. I could kick myself for getting rid of my mothers old Singer sewing machine just a few weeks ago!

Thank you for any ideas you may want to share with me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

I'd look for a old desk with some drawers and some chunky feet..something that had a 26 inche wide top OR a top that could be trimmed down to that size. Put some nice wheels on the feet and let the granite sit on top of the old desk top.
The wheels are going to be the big expense. You will have to take into consideration the weight of the granite and desk when purchasing the wheels. Last time I checked wheels were running between 5 and 9 a piece.

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 12:50PM
rosepetal2

not sure how much room you have but how about a base unit cupboard (or two) that was on rollers with your top on it like a rolling island. If the cupboard was narrow you could have the top overhang more so you could get your legs under it better and use bar stools..
Diane

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 11:24AM
mojojojogrlnj

how about getting a chest of drawers you know 3 or 4 drawers small one.... add wheels .....paint to go with your kitchen add the top granite part...you will have the drawers to store pots pans etc also:) they did it check link

Here is a link that might be useful: junk brothers

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 12:02PM
wantoretire_did

6 ft. is pretty long if your kitchen is that small. How about a baby's changing table?

Carol

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™