Metal or wood tray dividers?

lmsscsMay 1, 2013

I wanted to do the wood tray dividers both from an aesthetic standpoint and I thought wood would be nicer to my pans than metal. However my KD was discouraging me from wood because in his opinion it wears compared to metal. What are people's experiences? I'll be putting sheet pans, baking dishes, cooling racks, and other misc pans between them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annkh_nd

My Mom has had wood tray dividers in her cupboard since 1977. I haven't specifically looked for wear, but they certainly work just fine, have held up well, and look great. I would much rather have wood than metal, just from an acoustic standpoint.

How much wear will be inflicted on the dividers?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 5:24PM
breezygirl

I have wood dividers built in to my cab over the oven for sheet pan, cooling rack, and extra cutting boards.

My cab maker forgot to build wood ones into a cab in my DR I wanted to use for tray storage so he installed some after-market metal ones. Given the noise those make with my large metal and glass trays, I'm glad to have wooden ones over my oven. The metal, however, is more sturdy.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 7:31PM
a2gemini

My dividers are wood and some are composite in the drawers - It is cheap to replace the composite ones in the drawers but only expect to do that every 10-20 years based on using the same product at the hospital in our therapy dept and how long it lasts.
I wouldn't like the rattle of metal on metal.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 7:54PM
lmsscs

breezy, that is exactly what I was thinking of using. I'll have to investigate more because the KD mentioned something about edge banding so they may be using thicker dividers. Thank you for the input.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
Factory sealed marble tile??
I went to a reputable(?) tile store over the weekend...
amspinn
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™