Clamp lamp: clamp missing - how to make it stand up?!

wildmonsterAugust 21, 2005

Hello, IÂm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question, but I really hope someone can show me how to attach a clamp-on swing-arm gooseneck lamp to my desk WITHOUT the clamp (which I lost in a recent move).

I called the manufacturer, but they told me that this model is not made anymore, and there is no similar model. It is like one of those task / computer lamps. It uses 13 watt fluorescent light. ItÂs not an expensive lamp, but I really like it and itÂs such a shame to throw it away a perfectly good lamp. But how can I make it "stand up"!!

Many thanks for any suggestions and advice!

Carmen

Here is a link that might be useful: pic and spec of the lamp from old website

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
des_arc_ya_ya

Trust me, I am the LAST person to answer this question. I am NOT mechanical! LOL My first thought was to try and find an old lamp like yours (or similar) and take the clamp off of it to replace yours.

Good luck - hope somebody has some more technical advice for you! LOL

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 9:57PM
jaybird

I took a jumbo binder clip...the black ones with the silvery metal "handles". Clipped it on the desk, flattened the handles back and stuffed the bottom end of the lamp neck through the handle loops. Used a little florists wire to hold it in place...(no duct tape though :^)

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 1:22PM
OklaMoni

How about zip ties, hose clamps and a C-clamp?

Seems to me, you can fix almost anything with zip ties and hose clamps.

Now, the C-clamp would be the part to juryrig it to. ;)

Moni

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 11:07PM
Joy__G__in__NE

You could take a piece of thick wood for the base and drill a hole to put the end in or drill a hole in the table or where ever you are going to use the light at.
Joy__G___ in Ne.

Bookmark   September 3, 2005 at 11:56PM
wichitarick

hi,
well I know I can do it but can I tell you how to do it ??lol that is the hard part.
well i,m not sure about attaching to the desk because i can,t see the desk?? but to the wall next to the desk is an easy one.
do you know what "conduit clip" or conduit strap is that is the little c shaped clip you see metal electric pipe attached to walls with , they attach with 2 screws, and come in all sizes and are at most 25cents a pc.
if you don,t know what one is go to the hardware store and ask them ?? and take 2 and place at last 6 ,8 in of flex shaft and find the stud in wall and attach vertically then bend shaft around to light area. if the shaft is a little smaller than the clip (1/2in)use a pc of rubber, paper , cut up pop can ???cardboard , to fill the gap before attaching .
if the desk can be screwed into this would attach it at the back on the side and you would not even see the clamps ,
but also look around the junk stores alot of this little stuff ends up in their misc. bins. Rick

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 12:50AM
wichitarick

hi,
so did you fix it ??

just did this same thing today on a shop wall worked great .
and if painted would look good anywhere curious

Rick

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™