My two favourites recipes for vegetarian shepherd's pie and quick and easy chili are missing. Can anyone share their recipes?
Teresa's Low-Fat Veggie Chili
1 large can Healthy Request V-8 Juice
1 regular can tomato puree
6 regular cans chili beans
6-8 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced (use 8 if they're small, 6 if they're larger)
3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tblsp. minced garlic
Fat free cooking spray
6 tblsp. chili powder (or to taste)
1 1/2 tblsp. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (or to taste, but be careful - it's salty)
Combine the V-8 and tomato puree in a large stock pot. Peel and dice potatoes and add to V-8 mixture. Start simmering over medium heat while chopping the rest of the vegetables. Saute the sliced carrots, chopped onion and bell pepper and the minced garlic in fat free cooking spray. (Reserve some of the onion to serve raw on top of the chili, if desired.) When carrots are crisp-tender, add mixture to chili. Add the beans and stir well. Add seasonings and simmer on low for at least one hour, until potatoes are tender. Stir often to prevent sticking. Serve topped with raw red onion, if desired.
I make veggie shepard's pie. I just use Morningstar Farm brand Griller's already cooked recipe style. They are crumbles of burger you would use in the place of hamburger. Then 1 can of creamed corn and 1 can of whole kernel corn and potatoes on top with salt and pepper. Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes.
Hope you like it!!
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
1 cup of green or brown lentils
1 teaspoon yellow asafoetida powder (from Asian grocers, or you can use minced garlic instead)
pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 cup diced celery
300g fresh ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons soy sauce
tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
6 large baking potatoes peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons butter
half cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sour cream
chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Heat oven to 230C/450F. Boil lentils in plenty of water until soft (about 40 mins). Strain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain, mash until smooth and add butter, milk, salt and sour cream. Mix well.
3. Heat oil in small pan and saute asafoetida or garlic and pepper for a few seconds. Add celery and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Mash drained lentils and crumble ricotta into them. Add soy sauce and tomato paste. Combine with celery bits, mix and spread evenly in casserole dish. Top with potato mix.
5. Bake in very hot oven until top is browned.
6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.