Wood Rack/Table?

des_arc_ya_yaAugust 22, 2005

Well, it might be - one of these days! LOL

I gave $5.00 years ago for this wood rack. We used it several years for its' intended purpose - holding firewood! No longer use our woodburning furnace and I just hate to get rid of the rack! Have been thinking about powerwashing and painting it and then having a piece of glass cut for the top.

Have a front window in my livingroom that I think it would look nice in front of - what do you think?

The rack is 39 inches long as it is and about 24 inches wide. How big a piece of glass would I need and how expensive do you guys think it would be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sistersunnie

Well I see a seat. Painted black with a simple wooden bench seat across the middle. Cool tapestry pillow. A table sounds neat also.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 10:19PM
lydia1959

That would make a cool table! I'd do a narrow piece of glass that just overhangs the iron on all the sides. Probably cost you about $25. for a thick piece with smooth beveled edges. Would be cheaper just to get a nice piece of wood cut, but I do think I'd like the glass top better. Too bad that old treadle you posted the other day isn't big enough to make a top (although you could frame it out and use it anyway)? Post a picture when you finish it, ok?

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 10:31PM
techsupport8

Depends if you go 1/4" or 1/2" plate glass. 1/2" will cost a lot more, but would be oh-so-sturdy (and quite heavy).

I think a table would be lovely, especially if you put an artfully arragned something-or-other underneath at the very bottom - perhaps a bundle of gnarled twigs or a twisty vine or some such thing.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 11:35PM
Lillie1441

I think it would make a great table! I love the shape and would never have thought of using that for a table. I like the glass idea but it should be a thick piece. You could also use a piece of granite or marble but that would be pretty costly unless you were lucky enough to find a scrap somewhere. Or even some other kind of stone??? If you have a granite or marble quary near sometimes you can pick up pieces cheap. It wouldn't even have to be a rectangular piece. Maybe even something with edges broken off in an irregular shape. How about a piece of 3/4 in. plyboard,sanded and painted with a faux marble or granite finish? I have done a faux granite finish on 2 dresser tops over the years and everyone who saw them thought it was the real thing.You might even put some type of tile on the board or mosaic it. Lots of possibilities............Lillie

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 12:52AM
CraftingMomma

Wow that rack is awesome! I love it. You've got a couple of great ideas already. Another idea would be to use plywood and mosaic the top. Your treadle (from your other post) could be set on the bottom to create a shelf.

Joyce

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™