Someone please tell me what this is (see picture)

redfeatherbuttAugust 5, 2010

I found it in an old box of china. It measures 3 3/4" diameter. If it's not a treasure it will soon be trash. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicole__

You put it in the bottom of a flower bowl, poke the flower stems thru the holes when making an arrangement. It's called a "frog".

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 7:22PM
lindac

No it's for the bottom of a sponge or powder bowl.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower frog

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 11:48PM
redfeatherbutt

I thought it was a flower frog too. But the holes are only about 1/8". That would be some tiny stems and really limit the kinds of flowers someone could use. Besides it's not very concave or very tall. The flowers just fall over and fall out. (I've tried) Most flower frogs are more rounded and have larger holes. I searched Google Images for flower frogs, sponge bowls, & powder bowls and have found nothing resembling this. Anyother ideas? Anyone?

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 12:08PM
kelly_oh

It looks like it wants to be the top of a suncatcher or windchime :) Please don't let it be trash, it can find a home with me :)

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 12:58PM
redfeatherbutt

I found the answer from a place called, "Dishes from the Past". It is an insert for a round butter dish. You put that in the dish, then the butter on top of it and the moisture can drain out of the butter. Now we know!!!!

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 4:12PM
sprout_wi

It looks like a strainer piece for the interior of a Chinese tea server. There is a small canister, then your round piece sets on it and then a lid fits onto the top of that. The tea steeps inside, you remove the lid and pour tea through your round 'strainer' and then replace the lid. Think of a teapot without the handle and spout. Tea was sometimes served closer to room temp, in such containers. Hot teas are served in pots with handles and spouts. -Sprout

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™