warmest clothes to buy

yborgalDecember 3, 2003

My daughter is going to Sweden and Finland over the Christmas holidays. We are normally in warm temperatures so she needs to buy warm jackets, sweaters, thermals and shoes with good tread to walk in snow and ice. What should she look for to make sure the clothes are well insulated? Any particular brands? Catalogs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gandbb

Go on line and look at REI (Recreation Equipment Incorporated)based in Seattle. You can save a little money buying their house brand. Their reputation is very good. I would get polar-tec - in layers - coat, pants, vest, and hat. If you get a coat, I wuld get real rather than synthetic down just because it compresses so well and won't take up nearly as much room in a suitcase. She will need good padded socks. The synthetic/wool blends are good. Patagonia makes good socks and they are available from REI. She will want some good underwear - again, I recommend the house brand at REI - it is light and silky while still being warm - and also wicks moisture away from the body. Sorrell makes a good warm boot that isn't terribly expensive. To summarize: dress in layers.

Bookmark   December 6, 2003 at 6:41PM
yborgal

Thanks. Will look at REI.

Bookmark   December 7, 2003 at 12:57AM
nedraw

Another place that has good quality warm clothes for reasonable prices is SierraTradingPost.com. Personally, I like silk or silk/wool blends long underwear under business or dress clothes.

NedraW

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Trading Post

Bookmark   December 14, 2003 at 10:00PM
punamytsike

I do not know any good places to buy stuff, but I am originally from Estonia, south of Finland and I know that what ever you buy needs to be able to block out wind. Wind-chill is a big factor there. Laiers and real wool, not synthetic materials, would be better as well. We live in Florida, used to live in NJ and my leather winter coat from NJ was not nearly enough in the beginning of October when I visited. Make sure that she also has several pairs of mittens, as If one pair gets wet.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   December 17, 2003 at 3:32PM
joann23456

I definitely agree with everyone who said to dress in layers. I also agree with the others' reccommendations for cold-weather gear.

However, even if the parka is warm, I always find that my legs are freezing and often chapped. Even when I wear silk underwear and pants. I much prefer a long, heavy wool coat for everyday wear. One that goes down at least over my calves.

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 8:52AM
cattknap

Wool socks and boots, wool mittens, wool hat that covers ears, several wool scarves and a long down coat and long underwear.

Bookmark   December 19, 2003 at 9:14AM
yborgal

She called from Sweden today. She's staying warm except for her feet and had to buy fur lined boots. She says those are working fine. Thanks for all of your suggestions. She listened to you when she wouldn't take my advice.

Bookmark   December 24, 2003 at 4:50PM
joann23456

That's great. I once had to give an Australian grad student a course in dressing for New England weather, and I *know* she didn't believe me when I told her how cold it would get. Fortunately, several of us combined convinced her.

Bookmark   December 27, 2003 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Is Disney World getting to expensive?
I just took my family to Disney World. I have been...
backyardbill
rfid?
How do you feel about these RFID wallets and purses...
scpalmetto
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Branson, Missouri........
Here we come!! August 25 - September 1st. Any suggestions,...
christy2828
Any discounts for Disney?
We've never been. DH and I are taking our son and...
Debbi Branka
Sponsored Products
68" x 162" Oblong Cloth
$186.90 | Horchow
Paisley Tablecloth
$8.99 | zulily
Garden of Eden Runner
$630.00 | FRONTGATE
Twisted Spiral Antique Gold 48-inch to 86-inch Curtain Rod
$54.95 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Collection Lamps Richardson 30 in. Bronze Table Lamp 5714910810
Home Depot