stencils and glass paint...

trailrunnerbikerAugust 17, 2006

I got a bunch of great ideas from several of you about the windows that I aquired. Now since I have no talent for drawing I decided that stencils are the way to go. I am stumped as to how to find good ones . Also what brand/web site do you suggest for the glass paints. Thanks in advance. Caroline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:craftylady-2006

Hi Caroline, I use Folk Art or Americana Enamel Paints on glass. Check out one of Donna Dewberry's One-Stroke Painting on Glass books at Michael's or Joann's or other craft store in your area. She even has a book out using the adhesive stencils (see below). There is a Folk Art "glass medium" you can use if you are using acrylic paints (which don't stick to glass as well as enamel paints). You paint the medium on the glass first, let it dry, then use the acrylic paints. With enamel paints also, you don't have to worry about sealing the paint (especially on a window).

Also, may I suggest that you check out the "Plaid Brand" adhesive stencils (check on Donna Dewberry's website or on "Plaid Paints." They are fantastic on glass and other objects (I've used them on wood - cut out Xmas words and made my own stencils, using different fonts on my computer and printing them out, then laying it over the adhesive stencil and cutting with a exacto knife.

One tip I've learned about the adhesive stencils or masking tape is to lift it off very gently when the paint is about ready to dry so you don't "rip" the paint up with the stencil.

Load your brush good with paint, a window I painted I had to let the first coats dry then go over it in the same color to make it brighter and not so streaky sometimes.

Another tip I've learned is "rubbing alcohol" will take acrylic or enamel paint off if you don't like what you painted. Use a cotton ball or something similar (a Q-tip in tight places). Happy glass painting.

Sal

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 11:18PM
trailrunnerbiker

Thank you Sal. Lots of helpful hints. I have never been in a craft store so will have to see what town near us has one. We don't have one here where I live. Are you saying then that enamel paint is the best way to go ? Which paint looks most like stained glass ? Have you used the liquid lead to make an outline and then filled in w/ paint? I htink that is what I want to try also. Thanks again, Caroline

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 8:33AM
gw:craftylady-2006

I guess it depends on what you are painting - something going indoors or outdoors. For a stained glass look, try 'Gallery Glass' paints. There is another post just a few down from this one and has a pic of a very nice window done with Gallery Glass paints - the leading comes with it -in peel off strips or as you say the liquid lead. I've never used Gallery Glass. Here is a pic of a window I painted with enamel paints - it is hung on a wall inside my home.

Sal

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 4:09PM
pumpkinpaste_gmail_com

I found a great deal on Gallery glass paint. I don't think they carry the redi-lead, but I love the large bottles of paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery Glass Paint

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 9:26PM
truant

I cannot successfully stencil on glass. I am using Liquitex Glossies (enamel) on wineglasses and when I remove the stencil, the paint comes with it.

Am I waiting too long to remove the stencil? Should the paint be wetter when I try and remove the stencil.

Help! Incredibly frustrating.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:11PM
junkinthetrunk

Here are some simple paintings I saw at the flea market...

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:01PM
sunnyca_gw

I bought the redi-strips of leading but never used them. They are straight & harsh looking! the liquid leading works much better. I taped stencil to back of glass & worked on front. That would work on a window but not a glass or other things.With the Gallery glass I just leaded in 1st & added the colors inside. Some I did on the sheets of acrylic or whatever it is,came with kit & then peeled off & put on mom's window between garage & patio. It's held up well! When using Enamel paints on glass I always clean window with alcohol & then take care not to touch it as oil in fingers comes off on glass.Paint won't stick to oil! Good Luck! Jan

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 9:51AM
susieq07

I did this glass over front doors with folk art paint and stencil, it's on for years now.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 4:44PM
oceanna

I love your painting on glass. Here is what I did with Gallery Glass paints and leading strips...

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 12:00AM
texasfern

Beautiful!

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 1:41PM
farmerkaren

Hello Oceanna,

If you see this can you tell me if you sealed the windows. If so, what did you use. How do you clean them?
Karen

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Sponsored Products
Red Watercolor Paisley Isabelle Rug
$34.99 | zulily
Rustic Bar Height Outdoor Bar Stool with Cushion (30" seat), Patio Furniture
$778.00 | FRONTGATE
Macari Coffee Table - SILVER
$899.00 | Horchow
Rico Espinet Miles Boom Brushed Nickel Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Wood Country Adirondack Ottoman - FR-1-UNFINISHED
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Brushed Nickel Two-Light Fluorescent Sconce
$148.00 | Bellacor
Derby 26-inch Swivel Counter Stool
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Creative Accents Rugs Crispin Blue and Black 22 in.
$59.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™