Vintage Hutch - Streetfind

oceangirlmeAugust 8, 2008

It's in great shape except for the door. The door to the hutch has a decorative veneer to it and half of it is missing. I want to remove the rest - it's about 1/8" thick. What't the best way to do this without breaking the glass? Any ideas? I was thinking about using a file but I think that will take forever. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzukween

Can you remove the glass? I've done one china cabinet, it had glazier points holding in the glass. I used a screwdriver and pulled them out, then after I was ready to put glass back in, I used my handy dandy silicone(LOLLLL...Ok,yeah, I use that for EVERYTHING:) )I pushed the points back in with a screwdriver. If the glass doesn't come out, then use a lot of painters tape to tape off the glass, and scrape the veneer off with something like a paint scraper. I never tried this, but I read somewhere about using the steam from your iron,or using a heat gun...to loosen the veneer. But I never have the tools I need and have to improvise :)

I hope someone has a better answer for ya, and good luck with the hutch! Show pics!

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™