Getting rid of glossy look? (Pics)

ladynimueAugust 1, 2007

Hi everyone! In the decorating forum I have a thread posted about turning an old dresser into a sideboard buffet. I used a can of gloss latex that I had from an old project, but I'm not liking how glossy it looks. Is there anything simple I can use to tone down the gloss? Some sort of clear spray maybe? I dread having to paint the whole thing over again.

Here's how it looks now:

The knobs are painted wood, and I've glued on some of my Grandmother's costume jewelry - Do you think the knobs would look better painted black?

Here's the Before:

Thanks very much for you help and ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahcorrigan

Love it! It is amazing what paint can do! If you get a can of flat sealer (either spray or actual brush application sealer...spray is easier) it should do the trick. I use it on glass when I need the shine gone for projects and I know it is meant to work on paint as well. It should dull the shine quite a bit.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 1:45PM
pegtn

Wow what a transformation!! I just love what you did to that dresser. I like the idea of using your grandmothers jewelry on the knobs, it gives it a special touch.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 2:46PM
luvstocraft

Don't have an answer for you about toning down the gloss, but I wanted to tell you that you did an awesome job on it. Love the added legs and the two tone paint looks great. Hope someone else can assist with an answer to your question. Luvs

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 2:46PM
pegtn

What did you use on the top of the dresser? That changes the look completely.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 8:49AM
ladynimue

sarahcorrigan, thanks so much for the info about flat spray sealer. I think I have some cans around but I didn't know they could be used on paint.

And everyone, thanks for the compliments! You've made me feel good about what I did to the dresser :)

Pegtn, I added a left over piece of door surround to the top of the dresser - found it lying about in the garage. Here's a picture of it around an actual doorway:

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 10:19AM
pegtn

That door surround really changes the look of the dresser. I think it makes it look more substantial.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 3:04PM
melba10

Hi, first off the dresser is beautiful. I did the same thing with a dining room table. The gloss was to much and I toned it down by rubbing/sanding with 400 grit steel wool. It turned out great, it still leaves a shine but not as glossy, more like satin. Try it on a hidden area. Hope this works for you.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 6:44PM
shysue

My that is a beautiful job you did on that dresser! It looks good as is, but Melba's suggestion sounds like what you are looking for.

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 12:07PM
ladynimue

Thanks for the kind words! Some ladies on the decorating forum think I should try distressing/antiquing the dresser a bit - sand it down a little, and add some black glaze to the drawers. I've never done anything like that before, but I'm thinking of trying it. Does anyone have any close up pictures to show me?

Thanks again for your help and opinions! It's great to know I'm on the right track.

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 1:35PM
countrygrl

I can't help you either, but I had to tell you that you did a great job transforming that dresser! And I like the kitty in the before picture. It looks possessed!

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 7:50PM
craftylady-2006

Your "new buffet" is absolutely stunning. What a great job you did in transforming that old dresser. Gives me an idea for a nightstand I was ready to throw out or give away cause I didn't like the dark wood. Thanks for sharing.

Sal

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 9:23PM
ladynimue

I've been working on sanding down the gloss - whew, my arms are killing me! LOL Really changes the look though!

Thanks to all for the help and compliments :)

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 7:56PM
Dandyliondeb

What an awesome transformation! I love buying old furniture and tranforming it into something fresh and new. I love the idea of adding the legs. Check out the cabinet I painted for my bathroom at the link below. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: My Painted Cabinet

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 10:54PM
ladynimue

I nearly forgot to post an update. I sanded it down and glazed the 'tan' paint with black and vice versa.

Here's how it looks now -

Thanks SO much for your help. I especially love how the top turned out and couldn't have done it without the advice.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 1:22PM
nicethyme

That is absolutely SPECTATCULAR!!!! I was neat after you painted but now it's AMAZING!!!! great job

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 6:48PM
quidam

I love it!!!You have go me thinking (which is always a good thing.) Great job!!!

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 7:21PM
luvstocraft

You should be so proud of yourself--that turned out totally amazing!

Deb, I loved your cabinet too. Loved all the pics. I've been saving some lace wanting to do some towels, now you've motivated me to get them out and get it done! Your pics are wonderful.

Luvs

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
Deco Revival Giclee 13 1/2" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Jelly Green Pure Flavour2Go Fruit Infusion Water Bottle
Classic Hostess
Sonneman Zylinder Collection Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Silhouette Blue Oval: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Oval Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
Arabian Horses
$695.00 | FRONTGATE