Working on Birdbath

wishdishApril 4, 2009

Okay, I started my birdbath. I'm using fairly thick peanut-buter consistency thinset, but pieces are still slipping, ever so slowly. Am I gonna have to lay this thing down? I did put tape on some focal pieces, but can't do that on every piece.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

Are you using too much? Also, if you work from the bottom up, the lower pieces will support the ones above them.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:15AM
texaswild

Are you SURE it's peanut butter consistency? I find thinset very sticky, and it even holds the large flat-backed glass globs for me. LASCATX is right - not much is necessary to hold.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:47AM
wishdish

Thanks. I think it was thick enough, but today i'm gonna try making it just a tad thicker, a little stickier. And I do indeed think i may be using too much. I think that's the key!!! I've got to remember - a dab'll do me. I'm encouraged now that today's session will go better.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 11:51AM
wishdish

Just wanted to say thanks again. I did make the thinset thicker. Slow, your word "sticky" helped me know what I was going for. AND, I used a lot less on each piece. So mosaicing was a whole lot more fun for me this time.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:22AM
texaswild

Well there you go - another one down for thinset. I couldn't live w/o it. Sure anxious for some WIP pictures.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 9:10AM
cathyscache

I would love to see pics too!!!! I have a birdbath I need to get done before summer is here.....may have to be my next project?? We'll see, I have so many I need to get done and not ever enough time...

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 2:18AM
wishdish

Okay, here's my first WIP picture. Did some more today, but this picture is from yesterday. I had some extra thinset, so smeared it on the bottom part that had a bunch of raised parts. The part below the blue line will be a different blue/white pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP - Birdbath

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 8:48PM
cathyscache

Your birdbath is gonna be beautiful!! Thanks for the pics...Can't wait to see the finished product.....,Cathy

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 2:52AM
texaswild

OH, OH, OH. What a beautiful job of placement. Fits together like a puzzle. This is gonna be a gorgeous birdbath.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™