New York

meg1199September 17, 2002

Hi there!

I need some assistance.......planning a trip mid October to New York city for business......I have the Helmsley Hotel booked on 42nd street....any advice on that area, what's close, what to do what not to do etc......any help is greatly appreciated!!1

Thanks so much!

Meg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpolk

Cool places to have a cocktail:
Marriot Marquis lounge overlooking Times Sq, Paramount Hotel Lounge inside up cool staircase (46th st).

Fabulous unforgettable dinner, Sugiyama. Japanese, very newbie friendly, very expensive but worth it. 55th street

The Morgan Library, east 36th street. Beautiful, quiet, interesting, with fabulous garden and cafe inside. (as in JP Morgan)

If you've never been, MUST pop into grand central station, 42d street, look up. I like to have a drink there too, or also nice places for lunch, people watching and star gazing!

Bookmark   September 20, 2002 at 10:20AM
woodie2

You'll love NY! You can go to the world's largest ToysRUs to see the huge Lego display, Madame Tussaud's wax musem on 42nd Street, Grand Central Station is not to be missed, the Oyster Bar there is great for lunch at the counter or table, I like the counter. (If you've read Mary Higgins Clark you'll remember one of her books which had an exciting Grand Central experience!)

Some of my favorites are Nicola Paone Restaurant (Italian garden decor) 34th Street between 2nd and 3rd, Ulrikas (Swedish farmhouse decor) 60th between Park & Lex (they have a wonderful "Swedish tasting" dinner including appropriate wines, beers and Aquavits), Off-Broadway "I Love You You're Perfect Now Change" (best show you will EVER see).

The Circle Line boat tour is very informative, you get a lot of information about the city and its right next door to The Intrepid, aircraft carrier museum, on the Hudson River, also very interesting.

As I think of some more things, I'll post them later. There are SO MANY places to go and things to do. Enjoy!

Bookmark   September 23, 2002 at 5:48PM
meg1199

Thanks so much....any information is greatly appreciated!
Meg

Bookmark   September 23, 2002 at 6:14PM
mclena

I must endorse the Morgan Library. If you have any interest in books, it is a wonderful experience. When we were there, they had an exhibit of "Books of Hours" from the middle ages that was absolutely incredible.

Be sure to go to Chinatown. We ate there at Shangai Joe's. Authentic Chinese, very inexpensive, and very, very good. You can make reservations if you want. John's Pizza is excellent and very reasonable. Go to Bubby's in Tribeca for breakfast if at all possible. You won't need to eat again all day, I promise you!

One of the best days we had was spent walking in Central Park, then over to the West Side and just walking around, checking out the many little shops and stores.

Bookmark   September 30, 2002 at 9:25PM
emmaemmac

If you like museums or are going to want to see the Circle Line tours, you should check out a City Pass. It gives you the Empire State Building, Circle Line tours, Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum, Museum of Natural History, Whitney Museum of American Art, MOMA, and Guggenheim for only $38. Just make sure you will get your money's worth out of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: City Pass website

Bookmark   October 12, 2002 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Free breakfast.....which hotels have the best food?
It seems that all the hotels have a free breakfast...
robar
Is Disney World getting to expensive?
I just took my family to Disney World. I have been...
backyardbill
Suggestions for Winter Vacation Resort
I'd like to make a trip out west to either Montana,...
Karen10125
Travel By Bus
Travelers can easily obtain complete schedule and fare/rate...
drosan
Road trip MA to Chattanooga, TN
We are planning a family roadtrip from MA to Chattanooga...
crystalshoe
Sponsored Products
Hand-tufted Manhattan Mod Rug (7'6 x 9')
Overstock.com
Anderson Leather Sectional - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Roll Bottle Opener by Umbra Shift
$30.00 | Lumens
Colonial Mills Dog Bone Pet Mat - Hound#&39;s-tooth Bright - OT19A022X034D
$39.00 | Hayneedle
Nantes Knotted Silk Rug
FRONTGATE
New Diamond Hand Knotted Moroccan Berber 8'x10' Modern Soft Plush Wool Rug H3648
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™