I've been dumpster diving

secondlouiseApril 13, 2010

A neighbor is remodeling. I found 2 windows, double paned, single sheet 24'X 48". When I saw it I thought table. I haven't even learned how to mosaic yet and already I am scrounging. There are also pieces of sheet rock in there. Can they be used for anything related to mosaic work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emtnest

It's a sickness and you have got it Louise...it's incurable, hopeless...you won't get over it so just embrace it...just think when you do start banging plates and such and stress that you might have built up will suddenly be released!!! Not so sure about the sheet rock for a substrate...it might work if it were covered with thinset though...good luck and show pics...

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 8:25PM
amandasgramma

Good find!!! I wouldn't think sheet rock would work. When it gets wet, it falls apart...and won't support it enough. Your best bet is cement board. If you have a Lowe's or HD, they'll cut to size for you.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 11:34PM
Calamity_J

Ohhhh, glass on glass....my fav projects!!!!heh heh! I'm just finishing off a window and have 2 more waiting....Heaven!!!ha!

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 11:27AM
addiesue

Yep, I'd recognize that sickness anywhere and you've got it. It gets in your blood and before you know it you are dreaming in your sleep about your next project...lol. Congratulations on your find! Can't beat FREE!

Addiesue

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 7:13PM
texaswild

Hot diggedy dawg! Another one bit the dust. We LOVE seeing posts like yours, SEC. First, I was thinking back on EMT's Golden Gate, I forgot to answer your question re favorite books. My favorite is "Mosaics - Inspiration and Original Projects for Interiors and Exteriors" by Kaffe Fassett and Candace Bahouth. I bought it several years ago, and several since as gifts, from Amazon.com. Second, if you want to use the sheet rock for a substrate for wall art, I'd think it would work. Why not? It doesn't bend, flex etc., so of course, I'd use it. I found a piece in my garage yesterday while I was digging for something else, and I pulled it out for a project. That is, if I EVER get caught up on spring gardening/planting. I've even seen mosaic artists use framed canvases for substrates. However, they were ungrouted. Like CALAM said - anything that's not running around - just use your imagination. Yep - you're gonna lose some sleep. Welcome to our disease.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Animal Crackers Area Rug Multicolor - 52-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lanart Rugs Urban Chic Espresso 5 ft. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
Hand Knotted Wool Super Kazak 3x10 Diamond Design Red Runner Oriental Rug H5003
BH Sun Inc
Tivoli Collection 28" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Eangee Mini Square Multicolor Accent Lamp
$56.91 | Lamps Plus
Emerson SW46 4-Speed Fan Slide - SW46LA
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Saturnia Buffet Lamp by Robert Abbey
$224.40 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Posh Beige 2 ft. x 3 ft.
$49.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™