Need ideas for 100 year old door

mycompostAugust 11, 2005

We recently remodeled our home and had to remove our original entrance door which was unusually short.

It is a heavy wooden door, about 100 years old, painted on both sides in a chipping, peeling dark forest green. It has a large square glass window in the top half with decorative molding across the bottom of the window on one side. I hate to throw this out. Any ideas out there?

Thanks;

-Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lydia1959

Use it as a coffee table? Sounds wonderfully cottage-y!

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:10AM
mycompost

Hmmmm. What about the glass window?

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:38AM
deedlesmom

Use it as a headboard or lean it against a wall purely for decoration.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 3:15PM
des_arc_ya_ya

Well, how about putting a thin sheet of plywood (or something!) underneath the door? Then the area where the window is can be used as a "display" type space on the coffee table. (Paint the plywood to match the color of the door.)

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 7:32PM
mycompost

Deedlesmom: If I had a twin bed, that would be a great idea. Very clever.
Des: I think I'll give your idea a shot. I never thought of putting support behind the window. This will be VERY interesting. I LIKE it!

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:21PM
des_arc_ya_ya

I'm thinking that even with a little room you could display photos, etc. in that space. Post a photo when you get it done, would ya!?

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:40PM
coloredthumb

Add to the bottom a stury hinge lidded wooden box with a cushion, put a few hooks for coats or hats, take out one of the pieces of glass and replace with a mirror, there you have an instant hall bench/coat rack with a final look & touch up mirror as you go out the door.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 10:08PM
mycompost

Coloredthumb:
WOW! Another really great idea! I LOVE that! OK, now I need to remove a 2nd old door from my house so I can try both des AND your ideas!
Thanks!

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 6:36AM
des_arc_ya_ya

I've seen coloredthumb's idea and it looked really neat. Don't know why I didn't think of it - I've been brain dead lately - Sorry!

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 12:55PM
desiderata

I too, have an old carved door and it's just waiting for me, to put a sheet of glass over it, from a sliding door, that matches exactly. It's going to be my craft table, in the family room and I'm in the beginning process of moving back home, so will do that when I get there. both of them are in the house I'm going to, so I don't need to transport them.
Even with the glass of your door, with the glass above it, it's protected. and, in the carved ares, you can set fun things in, for display..like marbles, shells, pictures and whatever fits in the narrow space, between the door and glass....that's my intention, anyway.

Becky~~~

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 3:28PM
mycompost

What to do with the doorknob? If I remove it, there's a hole. (Plus there's seperate dead bolt harware.)
Hmmm.

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 6:36PM
junkgirl

OK, I hate to but into this great thread, but here's another question on the same lines. I recently got the old inside the house french doors from the old home I grew up in. The doors were probably 60 to 70 years old. they are very tall and have a glass doorknob. One of the window panes was broken out. What can I do with glass french doors? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Alice

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 10:48PM
OklaMoni

Glass french doors, room divider, hook them together on the side where they used to be attached to the door frame.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 1:24PM
coloredthumb

Glass french doors, room divider/picture display, hinge them them together (add support legs if needed to steady it upright). Put a matte and pic in each window pane. You could use botanicals or pressed flowers or glass paint each to look like stained glass, or pencil vinettes any thing that you like and fitting your decor.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™