Help me save my brass lamp

Daisy7July 31, 2005

I think it's brass. I bought it eons ago and gave brass price for it. LOL I forget the name but it was very expensive.

Anywho, it has corroded on one side for some reason. Okay, I know the reason - I used to sit my Coke glass by it every night and the sprizzles got to it.

I'd like to clean it up and make it shine again. Does anybody know how I can do this? Steel wool? Barkeepers Friend? Sandpaper? At this point, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AuntMary

I have a brass student lamp and it was stored for five years and was a tarnished mess. I mentioned that I needed to have it recoated to an antique dealer and she told me this shortcut that works. Protect working area with newspapers and an old towel, put on rubber gloves, pour SnowBowl Toilet Cleaner(I never substitute brand) into a glass or plastic bowl and take a small rag dipped in the SnowBowl and generously swipe the lamp. The tarnish will evaporate like magic and if any remains, a good brass cleaner like Brasso will remove. Rinse the Snowbowl off well and lightly polish with Brasso to create a finish. Do not touch the brass with hands. Skin oil starts the corrosion. Polish with a clean soft rag and enjoy your lamp.

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 9:47PM
des_arc_ya_ya

All I know is that a friend from work used to clean all her brass using a strong solution of unsweetened orange Kool-Aid!

(Now, if it corrodes it even more, I ain't responsible! LOL)

Is that a good enough answer? Will you come back, now, ya hear!?

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 10:18AM
des_arc_ya_ya

Daisy, check the previous post. Sounds like they had some good ideas.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 3:40PM
chuckr30

There is a special cleaner/polisher just for brass. I think it's called Brasso. Look in the cleaning products section of your regular grocery store or hardware store.

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 9:44AM
mycompost

Lemon juice and salt. It's the only tarnish remover I use!

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™