Phoenix reporting deaths by heat???

chery2July 24, 2005

On our travels from VA to OR, we spent a day/night in Phoenix. When DH said, "Did you hear 17 people in Phoenix died b/c of the heat?" I said, "Not surprised. I almost made it 18!" We went to a DiamondBacks game in an eclosed, air-conditioned stadium, and STILL SWEATED! It was 114 that day. Don't let anyone tell you that Arizona heat isn't as hot as Southern heat b/c Arizona doesn't have the humidity we have; HEAT IS HEAT!

chery-va

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

I think Phoenix has had a lot of humidity lately like we have had here in New Mexico. The remains of Hurricane Emily just passed through there and it's also the monsoon season. My relatives moved from the area earlier this year, but they always told me the best time to visit is October through March. That's when I've been there and haven't been disappointed.

The dry heat without the humidity is a very different heat from what you are used to. We have 10% humidity average here wher I live. Honestly, if you are standing in the shade, it's bearable. However, if the wind is blowing, it feels like youu stuck your head in the oven. I grew up in Arkansas which has an average of 65% humidity. There, it felt muggy even at 10 pm. Here in the desert, unless there are clouds in the sky, you don't feel sticky all the time.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 11:03AM
azhomebuyerseller

This is a VERY LATE addition to this post, but I just wanted to add a note about the heat-related deaths:
MOST of the heat-related deaths are homeless people living on the street. Most of the others are elderly who cannot afford air conditioning.
But yes, it is very very hot here in the summer! :)

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 11:35AM
Happyladi

It is often quite hot here in the Dallas area in the summer, but I like to tell myself "at least I'm not in Phoenix".

I have been there twice in the summer and it is HOT.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Winter Vacation Resort
I'd like to make a trip out west to either Montana,...
Karen10125
Mt Magazine in Arkansas
For those of you who love nature and live close enough...
emma
Key West: Any "must see's"?
Got the condo and plane tickets booked. We have a...
jewelisfabulous
Family Friendly Rafting
Hi! We are looking to take our kids ages 6, 9 &...
Supermom74
Things to do in Italy
We are going on a family vacation to Italy this July....
recordstraight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™