Outer Banks?

MarkBinPAJuly 19, 2002

I have spent the past five years on family vacations to Myrtle Beach. Next year, my wife and I decided to take our 4 year old and 13 year old to the Outer Banks for a more relaxing and quiet vacation.

Since I have never been, you help would be appreciated. What part of the Outer Banks would suit families more, Kitty Haw, Duck, Hatteras, etc...?

What is there to do for fam,iles?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, anyone need any questions answered about Myrtle Beach, I woudl be glad to help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KTKelly

On the outer banks, you can either fish, shop, eat or sun on the beach. That's about it.

Kind of a low key Myrtle beach when you get right down to it.

Less traffic, less people, little less to do. Of course, it is nice to drive around and not see a tee shirt store on every dang corner.

Did I mention fishing?

Bookmark   July 19, 2002 at 4:28PM
Geoff

"It's all good." Really, it is. Duck is a bit more expensive in terms of rent, and the beach is more crowded, IMO. The small settlements on Hatteras itself (Avon, Frisco, Salvo, etc.) are very quiet and there are fewer restaraunts than up in Kitty Hawk, Nags Head and Duck, but the beaches are so fabulous down on Hatteras (nearly vacant as well). Nags Head and Kitty Hawk have lots of attractions to the point it almost resembles Myrtle Beach (well, there's not the bar scene you see in Myrtle) anymore. Miniture golf, movie theaters, beach souvenier shops and all that stuff.

Windsurfing, kitesurfing, kite flying, fishing, surfing, paragliding, kayaking, beachcombing, or just chillin'. No jet skis allowed on the National Recreational Area but they are up in Nags Head and north.

Bookmark   July 19, 2002 at 4:35PM
Marda

If you want to go where there are things for kids to do..miniature golf,amusement rides,movies,etc. then Kitty Hawk,Nags Head,South Nags Head,and Kill Devil Hills are your best bet. There are things there for eveyone to do. We always went in Sept. to stay away from the crowds,but last year went in August,and still only shared the beach with a few people. You will love it,no matter where you go.

Bookmark   July 21, 2002 at 6:02PM
MarkBinPA

Thank you to all of you. I appreciate the input and your thoughts.

Bookmark   July 22, 2002 at 10:04AM
susan_in_nc

I just returned from a family vacation in Kitty Hawk. Had a 12 year old and an 18 year old. Also took along the family pet -- who loved the beach (was allowed with leash). There are many amusements available, cost is on par with other vacation spots. Jockey's ridge is interesting, a "living" sand dune, didn't get to try it, but there is a hanggliding school, which is also fun to watch, kite flying and as stated before "LOTS of fishing". I have to admit it was more fun for the 12 year old than the 18 year old (mostly due toa problem with her best friend -- constantly on the cell phone, growing apart and other "teen" angst!)

Bookmark   July 24, 2002 at 11:45AM
siouxsee

I just returned from a week stay in OBX - we shared a large house with my husband's family in a section called Pine Island, which is between Duck and Corolla. Absolutely lovely and recommend it to everyone! The homes in this stretch seemed newer, larger and most have private (as ours did) and direct access to the beach. Our home also had a pool, which was nice for the 4 younger boys in our party, especially when the ocean was too rough for swimming.

If you enjoy shopping, check out Scarbourough Faire and The Farmer's Daughter in Duck and the Cotton Gin in Corolla. There is a larger Cotton Gin store on the way out of the Outer Banks, too.

Take a tour of the lighthouse or go 4-wheel driving on the beach in Corolla. There are also numerous places to parasail and rent waverunners.

Have fun!

Bookmark   August 20, 2002 at 1:07PM
KTKelly

My wifes uncle has a place just below Buxton that we visit now and then.

Rather unique old "shack".

The main beam that runs down the middle of the house, is actually from the keel of an old wooden ship.

In 1953 when uncle bought the place for the regal price of $1,500.00, he borrowed an additional $2,000.00 so he could fix it up a bit.

Part of the fix up included moving the house back from the road some 50 feet. He did this by using some old bottle jacks to raise, then lower the house onto some old used telephone poles. He then used a borrowed block and tackle, and an old, old jeep, to move the house all by himself.

I've heard all the stories relating to events in the area. Suprisingly his wife supports these "fish tales"....lol

Bookmark   August 20, 2002 at 6:09PM
verasc

What are the price ranges for renting a beach house? What would it be like there in May...as far as crowds etc? And do most of the rentals allow you to bring your pet..(small yorkie)?
Thanks
Vera

Bookmark   March 8, 2004 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Key West: Any "must see's"?
Got the condo and plane tickets booked. We have a...
jewelisfabulous
Branson, Missouri........
Here we come!! August 25 - September 1st. Any suggestions,...
christy2828
Road trip MA to Chattanooga, TN
We are planning a family roadtrip from MA to Chattanooga...
crystalshoe
Hotels with best free breafast....which is best?
It seems as though all hotels have a free breakfast....
robar
Sponsored Products
Rosle Fine Swivel Peeler
$27.00 | FRONTGATE
Serenity 11.5'' Ergonomic Spring Mattress
$469.99 | zulily
Pera 6 Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Amber Cloud Glass
$405.00 | Bellacor
Crazy Cat Coin Bank
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Coast To Coast - Eight Drawer Credenza In Isom Burnished Brown - 61667
Great Furniture Deal