painting brass?

madersJuly 22, 2006

A friend gave us a full size brass bed- the brass is really tarnished and I tried cleaning it- but alas to no avail- unless you know trick- but the other glitch is the bed rails are on backwards so the bed sits on top of the rails instead of inside- so it will move if jumped or whatever- so I wanted to know since I am using it in my daughter room- can I paint it white? my friend was going to trash it and so there won't be any hurt feelings. but I would hate to ruin something too. Is there any way to check to makle sure I am not ruining a valuable- is brass valuable if it is not shining?

heather

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:craftylady-2006

If you type in "brass refinihing" in your web browser line you will get web sites about just that, refinishing brass. There are several pages on the topic. If I were painting it, I would use a medium to make the paint stick first of all, then I would use enamel paint and give it a few coats of a sealant.

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 7:42PM
tasymo

Hi Heather
If you don't want to struggle to get ALL of the brass to shine, why not paint most of the bed, but leave a few select areas brass and polish those (knobs, spindles, etc.)
I've seen everything from acid baths (scarey) to ketchup (!!!) suggested on the web to shine tarnished brass. I'm sure there is something out there that will work for you. Good Luck!

Kathy

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 12:16PM
new2gardenfl

Someone gave me a brass bed off freecycle.org. It was one of the brass beds that were so popular in the 80's.
I lightly sanded it and primed it with kilz spray paint.

I then spray painted it an antique gold and sponged bronze paint on it. It turned out great. I didn't seal it because I wanted it to look old and it won't see a lot of abuse in my guest bedroom.

I hope this is helpful.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™