how do you remove mosaic from wood piece?

mangomoonApril 23, 2010

I have an architectural wood piece, actually two wood pieces put together to form a beautiful wall hanging. I want to remove the mosaic from the center (measures about 8" x 10") entirely, sand and paint the entire piece and fashion a mirror from it instead. I have tried chipping away at the tiles and trying to pry them off from underneath. I managed to remove 1/8 of the entire small area, but I find it to be a lot of work. Any other way to remove it entirely?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Screwdriver underneath and a hammer is my only suggestion. Picture w/help.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 9:45PM
flagtruck

try a little squeeze of water at the edge of the tiles and perhaps it will soften the glue and then you can take Slow's suggestion and use the screwdriver and hammer at an angle (almost horizontal). Since you are covering the area with mirror any boo boos won't show. Good luck

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 7:30PM
mangomoon

A friend of mine came over and made the job easy for me. He was able to pry the architectural piece that was originally placed on a wood plaque, then painted to look all like one piece. This was the part I was after. The mosaic was on bottom wood plaque. I don't know why I didn't think of this in the beginning and therefore wasted time trying to pry off the tiles, while getting a dry grout facial at the same time !

These older architectural pieces like corbels and cornices are sold for a lot of money on eBay, and I wanted to save it badly, so I know I will be able to place it on another wood plaque in the future and make my mirror project.

Thanks for the water tip. I never gave that any thought. If I run into this situation again I will give it a try. Thanks again:)

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Sponsored Products
Graceful Solid Brass Handrail Bracket
Signature Hardware
Industrial Iron Plumbing Pipe Table Lamp for Reading
ParrotUncle
Florence Knoll Style Sectional-Brown - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Polished Chrome Towel Shelf With Towel Bar
TheBathOutlet
Noir Arm Chair in Gray
$174.99 | Dot & Bo