Gold picture frame - I want a different color

ladynimueJuly 18, 2007

Hi everyone! I know nothing about craft painting so I appreciate your help with this.

I found a picture with a gold frame (wood). I want to add black to it, but still have some of the gold show through. What product should I use to do this? I'm guessing it would be something I could rub in, or brush on and rub off, but I don't know what to use.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sistersunnie

Maybe someone else knows better than I. I have done the same, used watered down craft paint, rubbed on, wiped off. Repeat if not enough black coverage. I guess you could also use a dry brush technique.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 9:24AM
thrift_shop_romantic

I've used the same technique SisterSunnie has. It works well, mutes the gold. If you're interested more in having it a solid black and less translucence, with almost "chippy" areas of gold, I'd say rub candle wax fairly heavily on edged areas of the frame, use your craft paint over the whole thing, and then rub away the waxed areas. That works pretty well too.

--Jenn

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 12:07PM
ladynimue

Nice table legs Robolady - I like how you framed them.

I tried using some black stain on the frame last night, but that didn't work. Thanks for the tips on getting the look I want. I must have some black craft paint around here somewhere!

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 4:06PM
luckygal

This may be too late for you, but there is a product called Rub 'n Buff which is supposed to be good. I haven't tried it yet but plan to when the right project appears. It comes in many metallics, colors, and ebony which looks like black to me.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 8:19PM
ladynimue

Not too late Luckygal :) I think the kids used all the black craft paint. I'm going to run over to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I'll see if they have the Rub n Buff (sounds sinfully fun, doesn't it?)

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 8:46PM
jaybird

I use shoe dye for things like that and have had good luck. It has a nice sheen when it dries. If I want it thicker in some places, I just put it on evenly and then quickly rub out the places that I want more gold to show through. If I want a thinner coat of color all over, I use wax shoe polish and buff it well!

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 12:56PM
thrift_shop_romantic

Jaybird, that's a good idea... It seems like such a natural choice, shoe polish, but I don't know if I've ever heard anybody else say they used it before for that.

--Jenn

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 1:58PM
luvstocraft

Jaybird is right. The wax shoe polish would add color and be able to be buffed to a nice sheen when dry too.

One of the published primative painters always added burnt umber paint to paste car polish to antique her pieces.

Luvs

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 1:28AM
ladynimue

I'm going to try the wax shoe polish tonight and I'll let you all know how it works. I've used it before to freshen up our bathroom cabinets - worked great. If the polish doesn't work then I have some black interior house paint that I'll mix with some water. I never did make it over to the craft store for paint :)

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 12:00PM
ladynimue

The shoe polish didn't work. I ended up using some black interior paint and wiping some of it off. Looks great!

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips!!!

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirl
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™