road trip

mom2emallMay 16, 2009

Hello all. My family and I are going to be taking a roadtrip to the west coast this summer and I am looking for any cool things to stop and see along the way. Not really museums or things like that. We are looking for more outdoor nature stuff to see as it will be summertime.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogoopogo

A bit more detail as to traveling from where on the East coast to the West. Adults only/ kids involved? budget? Hotels? B&B's? camping? RVing??

How much time do you have??

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 11:46AM
mom2emall

It will be me, hubby, and 4 kids between ages 7-14. No RV or camping. We are on a budget. We will be traveling from Michigan to Arizona.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 4:59PM
izzie

Moab, Utah...I really enjoyed that. Lots of trails in the National park. Also Sedona, AZ. There is a little town very near Sedona that is built on the side of "mountain" I think it is Jerome....vary quaint, lots of artists, sorry I not sure of name but starts with J. Its a bit scary, I really hate heights but even for me it was worth it.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 10:05PM
mariend

Figure around 100.00 per day for motels. Food and gas is high also. How long will you be on the road? Figure washing clothes, take stuff for sickness or diarrhea. Watch the drinking water as this could cause problems, especially for the children. Bottle water--again $$ unless you buy it at Walmart etc.
From MI to Az should be ok, but So AZ is very hot, so plan to stay in the Northern area. There is alot to see between home and AZ. Get maps, plot a general course and go on the internet. Jerome is nice, but very difficult to park =it is a mining town, not much for kids. When you get to a city, ask about the local stuff. Many towns have free or very low cost places. Stop and let the kids run in a park. We use to plan to eat lunch/dinner at the local parks so the kids could get exercise. But, do watch them and keep your car locked all the time. We found that after 3 days of driving, we needed to stop for about 2-3 days to rest. Do you belong to AAA? They have lots of information. You will find the smaller towns friendlier, safer and cheaper. Since my son lives in MI and we used to have relatives in AZ, we did alot of traveling, but then we had an RV. You can rent a motor home, but figure cost against motels etc.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
If you were to stay in a Bed and Breakfast
What would you expect to have in your room? Hubby and...
trisha57_ny
jujujojo_gw
Branson, Missouri........
Here we come!! August 25 - September 1st. Any suggestions,...
christy2828
Thanksgiving for a family
Our family lives in Colorado and my mom lives back...
CORoadie
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™