Need ideas for cheap headboard

arlinnJuly 14, 2005

Hello All,

Does anyone have any cheap, easy ideas on how to make a headborad for a king size bed? Has anyone fashioned one out of something nifty they recycled? I was thinking of a door, but don't know how to do it and also I haven't come across any cheap ones yet. Thanks for any suggestions.

Arlinn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tnflower_lover

this may help

Here is a link that might be useful: headboard

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 3:58PM
arlinn

Thank you. That was a helpful link. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

Bookmark   July 15, 2005 at 10:31AM
TwoMonths

The least expensive is probably a painted one...just paint it on wall. Put a frame around it.

What is your theme in the room....you could use a piece of trellis, an architectural feature, screen doors, folding screens.

Or take picture frames and cut wood or heavy cardboard to fit. Pad it and put material over it. Place in frame and hang by wire or just screw to wall.

A big bed can use 2 twin headboards side by side.

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 12:42AM
jaceysgranny

Yesterday one of my friends told me her daughter put up a wall quilt rack over the bed and added tabs to pillow shams that matched her comforter and hung them from the quilt rack. Sounds very pretty and would be pretty inexpensive.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 10:25AM
luckygardnr

How 'bout putting boards on the wall to look like a picket fence? I saw that on TV and thought it looked really neat.

Laurel

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 9:47PM
cathyll

WE bought a section of picket fence, sanded it, and painted it white. Looks great.

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 11:13PM
lindabelle41

I, too, used a picket fence section (from Lowes)

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 9:53PM
lindabelle41

I, too, used a picket fence section (from Lowes)

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 10:00PM
janroze

Saw a paneled door done on TV. They did decorative painting on it. Gorgeous. I've seen them do picket fences too. The other day they sprayed adhesive to plywood, placed foam on it. Trimmed edge with electric knife and covered with fabric stapling it in back. Usually they leave extra foam around the edge to pull around behind and soften the edges, but they didn't.
jan

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 6:20PM
maggiemuffin360

I'm a regular browser at all our local Salvation Army/Value Village shops. Got really lucky the last time and found a sleigh bed (headboard, footboard and slats)really, really cheap. Just need to paint it now and we will have an absolute find!
Almost always see headboards there - with a little paint or ??? they can be fabulous.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 2:21PM
outofmytree

Hi!
Mine is a head board made from a baby crib! I found it curbside. The foot and head boards were the same height, so it was easy to paint them up and fasten them side by side to get the length I needed. They are all wood and the price was right! FREE..

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 10:32PM
outofmytree

Hi back again..forgot to say..my GF used chairs! This is so cool. She got 5 wood chairs at a garage sale for cheap. Then cut the seats off at the back leaving just the back part where you rest your back and the back legs. Fixed them to the wall and presto, a cool headboard. You can paint them a color of your choice.
Radd

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 10:46PM
secapps

Also, check out freecycling in your area on the Yahoo boards. I see people giving away headboards all the time. We got one from a neighbor throwing one out.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 9:41AM
dinabear

Keep your eyes peeled on Thrift Stores. I looked for a few weeks and found a king size iron one for $10.00. All I had to do was sand and paint.

Dina

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 3:04PM
weedwhacker

I picked a rusty brass headboard out of the trash and painted with a new spray paint to look like hammered copper. I love it!

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 9:13PM
thecitychicken

We always have fairly small houses with fairly small master bedrooms. So I always use a hollywood frame with no headboard or footboard to take up precious inches. But, I still wanted a headboard, so ours is made of a piece of plywood, wrapped and stapled with a thrift store blanket for padding, and then I covered it (wrapped it like a present and stapled it on the back facing the wall) with inexpensive faux brown leather from WalMart's fabric department. We've had it for years, and I really like it! It is sandwiched between the wall and the top of the bed, doesn't bonk around, is only 3/4 inch deep, is soft and wipeable, and is nice to lean against unlike say a metal rung-type headboard.

--Katy S.

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 1:22AM
use2bcapecodr

I found some old louvered doors that I used for a headboard for our king sized bed. We added a board in the middle to make it wide enough.

It's bolted to the wall, and we hung the lamps right on the doors. We had it at our last house and liked it so much...and got so many compliments on it, we brought it with us when we moved.

~Sandy~

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 8:12PM
des_arc_ya_ya

Well, duh! Why didn't I think of putting a board in the middle!? I have a set of those doors, too. Guess I better drag those suckers out of the shed, hu!? LOL

Thanks for the photo. It looks neat.

Bookmark   November 7, 2005 at 8:45AM
kacram

have you decided on anything?

Here is a link that might be useful: check here!

Bookmark   January 14, 2006 at 10:10PM
arlinn

Forgot all about my posting here. All this time later and no, I still haven't decided on something. I must have gotten side tracked with the gardening. I really like the louvered door head board for the king size bed, but the upolstered boards are appealing as well because they look easy enough to make. Plan to have the whole bedroom renovated this spring/summer...whenever our carpenter is available. Thank you all for you great suggestions and the useful links.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 1:55AM
candicorne

I had an old piece of woodwork out of an old house that was 7' long that had been in our garage for ages. DH had a few words to mumble as I was working on this idea but he came thru. Painted it the accent color of our bedroom. DH cut it to the length I wanted and hung it about 2 1/2 feet above the bed. It has a top lip on it that is 2" so I put votive candles (about 8) and it looks very romantic and simple. Then I hung a board over that that says "Always kiss me goodnight". We just love it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™