California trip

Butterbud_April 16, 2004

Hello - Planning to take a bus tour in California this fall (September) Any recommendations? Is that a good time to go? Would start in San Fran, see wine country and wind our way down to San Diego. Thanks for any ideas. Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny_Ca

Being a native of Northern California (San Jose) I am partial to this end of the state. Wonderful things to see would include San Francisco (several days), Wine Country, Yosemite (couple of days), Lake Tahoe (couple of days,) Carmel and Pacific Grove (couple of days.) Those are most of my favorite places. Personally I don't care for Southern California, not even San Diego. If time is short, focus on Northern California and on another trip head south.
Ginny

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 1:47PM
jenn

On the way down the coast, don't miss Big Sur.

Jen

Bookmark   June 3, 2004 at 8:53PM
tresbelle3

I lived there as well...north and south. So much to see...you will have a wonderful time. Sept. is a beautiful month. Enjoy, enjoy!!

Bookmark   June 14, 2004 at 10:34AM
mary_md7

DH and I honeymooned in Napa/Sonoma in October a few years ago. It's a beautiful time to see wine country. We especially enjoyed a hot air balloon ride over the vineyards.

Bookmark   June 14, 2004 at 5:03PM
bobbi_IL

I would focus on Northern California as well. San Francisco is a beautiful city, unlike any other in the U.S. Start at the top with Napa Valley and work your way down the coast. Yosemite is a little out of the way for doing your trip this way, so it would depend how much you enjoy the nature/national park scene--my parents live near by so I didn't have to make the choice based on a single decision! Traveling down the coast through Monterrey and Carmel is a treat--simply beautiful, you won't want to go home! On one trip, we continued all the way down to Pismo Beach and rented a hotel room on the cliffs and spent the last few days lazing around enjoying the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks. Enjoy your trip!

Bookmark   June 15, 2004 at 9:18AM
Lynne_SJO

San Diego is beautiful. Be absolutly sure to spend at least one day at the Zoo (one of the best, if not the best in the world) and also try to take in Coronado island. Do a search for the Del Coronado hotel and take a trip back to the days of classic hollywood. I spoke at a conference there once, and it was fabulous--so much history.

Lynne

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 2:40PM
Butterbud_

Thanks so much for your ideas. Decided to go with Globus tours which will include much of what you suggested. Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 12, 2004 at 9:15PM
cattknap

Stop in at Laguna Beach - it is a beautiful place!

Bookmark   August 19, 2004 at 9:39PM
mariend

I think you will like Globus tours. A friend of ours drove in Europe for several years and DH and brother did many tours with them. Never unhappy

Bookmark   August 21, 2004 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Free breakfast.....which hotels have the best food?
It seems that all the hotels have a free breakfast...
robar
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Suggestions for Winter Vacation Resort
I'd like to make a trip out west to either Montana,...
Karen10125
Road trip MA to Chattanooga, TN
We are planning a family roadtrip from MA to Chattanooga...
crystalshoe
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™