Removing Ink Mark from Very Old Wood?

des_arc_ya_yaJuly 16, 2006

Anybody have a suggestion? My DH made me a coatrack from my grandparent's old porch post and a base from my uncle's old cypress barn. We changed the bottom base/board and the side up has an ink pen mark across the middle. The wood is old untreated, very dry and cracked cypress. What'll take the mark of ink off without changing the look of the wood?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:craftylady-2006

Don't know if this will work on wood - but I've read somewhere's to use hairspray on ink on clothing - worth a try.

Sal

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 12:33PM
grindel

Rubbing Alchhol. That's why hairspray usually works, because most hairspray has alcohol in it. I would worry about a sticky residue the hairspray might leave on old unfinished wood, though. Rubbing alcohol is your best bet and it dissipates quickly.

Try it on a small spot first. Dip a q-tip in rubbing alcohol, rub just the pen mark and immediately blot with a clean dry cloth. Don't rub with the dry cloth, just blot. Rubbing might cause the wood to get hung up on the fibers in the cloth.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 4:45PM
papster1000

IF that stuff dont work try taking that board off and plane the top of it .. it just smimms the top of like 1/100ths.
JD

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™