Newbie with a question...

okieladybugJuly 20, 2006

Hi all! I joined this site to learn about cottage gardening, then discovered that there were forums for my other interests too, so here I am! I have a question I'm hoping you all can answer!

I obtained several wooden pallets. I was planning to use them for my garden, but DH has vetoed the idea. I decided to paint them for yard art, instead. How do I go about doing this? Should I prime it first? If so, what should I use? If I use exterior paint, do I need to seal it with something?

I'm planning to make one for each season. I thought I could give the set to my Mom for her birthday. I know I'll do a prim looking American flag for summer, a scarecrow selling "punkins" for Fall and snowmen for winter. I'm still coming up with ideas for spring.

Thanks in advance for your input! I want to start on these this weekend!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Purplemoon

I was told it wasn't necessary to seal when using exterior paint, but I still like to use a sealer anyway. There is a poly sealer just for wood I use.

I want to see photos when you do these, your idea sounds wonderful.
Karen

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 4:02AM
okieladybug

Ok, I'll check into getting a sealer to use, as well. Wednesday was Mom's birthday, but I was sick and didn't get to see her. She had specifically asked for something from Bath & Body Works and I picked up a few things. I also printed out a little coupon on my computer and put in the card that said she would get 4 hand-painted yard art signs over the next year (1 for each season). She was more excited over the yard signs than the bath gel!!! :) I guess that's a good thing!

I'll definitely post some pics when I get them finished. I've got to start working on the Autumn one for Mom and I'd like to make one for myself, as well.

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 8:38AM
gw:craftylady-2006

What a fantastic idea, I would like to see pics also. Only a suggestion: For the Autumn one, what about nailing some "shelves" on the pallet to hold real pumpkins? How about a garden hook on the side to hold a lantern with tealights? 3D is what I'm getting at. Spring/summer - a string of slow flashing lights to immitate lightening bugs against a painted background of flowers, grasses, bugs, etc. (Battery operated would be nice.) Attach an old garden shovel/rake, grapevine, etc. I have some old picket fence sections, wonder if I could do the same with them!!

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™