Solo to Italy

suziequeMarch 9, 2010

Hello -

I am just getting started in planning a trip to Italy, hopefully this summer (2010). I will be going alone. I'm interested in a cooking class or 2, food and wine, some history, pretty and quaint villages, and the like. I've seen enough churches and cathedrals during my travels to last a lifetime, so not so interested in that. I'm not comfortable with renting/driving a car over there, so will depend upon taxis, perhaps a tour driver, etc.

I've been to Tuscany before with a large group; it was the best vacation of my life. I wouldn't at all mind going back to that region but certainly am not limiting myself to it.

Since my trip will only be one week, I guess it'd make more sense to stay in one spot where there are things nearby that can be walked to or easy cab ride, and then maybe take some day trips from there.

Please offer any suggestions and tips about solo travel, places in Italy that you've visited and loved and why (I understand that this is all subjective, but it would be helpful to hear your views), things to avoid, how to not spend copius amounts of money, stay safe, etc.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colorcrazy

Hi, Suzi

Maybe you want to cross post to the Kitchen table. This forum seems too quiet.

We have been to Rome and to Venice. Both were wonderful. Hotels are expensive in Venice, but you can walk everywhere once you are there. I don't know about cooking schools, sorry.

I've heard that Amalfi is wonderful. Try looking for a Rick Steves book at the library. I hate his show, but his books are very useful.

As for staying safe, carry your money in a money belt under your clothes. Avoid taking a purse. The hotel usually holds your passport. The rest is more generic - avoid alleys etc that don't have streetlights, and walk with a sense of purpose.

Have fun!

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzieque

Thanks, colorcrazy. Yes, because this forum is so quiet I stopped checking back for awhile. I appreciate your response.

I'll take a look for Rick Steves' book. I, too, have heard that Amalfi is gorgeous.

Suzieque

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Hotels with best free breafast....which is best?
It seems as though all hotels have a free breakfast....
robar
Branson, Missouri........
Here we come!! August 25 - September 1st. Any suggestions,...
christy2828
Key West: Any "must see's"?
Got the condo and plane tickets booked. We have a...
jewelisfabulous
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Any discounts for Disney?
We've never been. DH and I are taking our son and...
Debbi Branka
Sponsored Products
Two King 300TC Pillowcases
$72.50 | Horchow
Toobe Table Lamp by Kartell
$360.00 | Lumens
Double Wall Sconce by Foscarini
$672.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Hand-knotted Vegetable Dye Solo Carmel Hemp Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Ai Lati | Spicchio Wall Sconce
$330.60 | YLighting
Set of Four Di Lusso Dinner Plates
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Remer by Nameeks N75US Single Handle Kitchen Faucet - REMER N75US
$402.98 | Hayneedle
AXO Light | Skirt Floor Lamp
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™