anyone been to Cario?

foggyjFebruary 27, 2006

Going to view the pyramids. Heard everyone has their hand out for tips. Can we use American dollars for this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sable_ca

American dollars, unlike Americans, are beloved anywhere. Be prepared to tip, and brace yourself for the children begging in the streets, even in the middle of the night. Cairo is a city of staggering poverty.

More tips: If you are female, or if there are females in your party - cover up. No shorts, sleeveless tops, see-through anything. Be very, very modest. A woman should wear a wedding ring, married or not. She should not go out in public unaccompanied. A male companion is best, preferably a husband or a guy who will pass as one. Unattached Western women are relentlessly hit on in the Muslim world, no matter what their age (I have a lot of experience with this, lol). It's funny at first, and then it's a royal PITA.

If you are going to the pyramids, take a camel ride. It's a great experience! Camels are very easy to ride, they sway gently to and fro, following the guide, and it's a fine view from way up there! You mount them when they are lying down and they gradually rock into a standing position.

If you have time, go with a companion to the Khan el Khalili and have tea at Fishawi's. It's a true Egyptian experience and they know how to treat tourists.

Be careful, be alert, and have fun! And report back to us!

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 2:09PM
foggyj

Thank you so much for the info. I was planning on trying to ride a camel. How often does one get that chance?!! I was just reading about how over-populated Cario has become.
We're doing the river tour to Luxor, etc.
Let you know how it goes.

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 12:10AM
foggyj

The combination trip to Paris/Egypt was great! no problems anywhere. Can't imagine going to either of those places without a guide. In Paris, went on a walking tour, then went back, using the great Metro system to see more. Very cold and rainy.

Egypt was a whole other world. Quite primative. Very poor country. They like tourists and are very friendly. Always felt safe everywhere.
The Nile River tour is great. Highly recommend it.

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 11:51PM
foggyj

See post under title.......anyone going to Cairo?

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 11:53PM
sable_ca

Foggy - So happy to hear that you had a fine trip! Where did you stay in Cairo? Did you have your camel ride?

I confess that I was a bit concerned. Friends of ours took a tour to Egypt in Jan2002. Her DH didn't want to go, but she was set on seeing the pyramids and tours were very inexpensive after 9-11. I didn't want to say anything to discourage them. Their tour group was surrounded by armed guards all the time, whenever they left the hotel. They were not allowed to step away from the group. It was pretty rough. I'm glad that things have improved there.

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Bucharest late July / early August
My 2 kids and I have the opportunity to meet my husband...
strayerdarb
Mt Magazine in Arkansas
For those of you who love nature and live close enough...
emma
Thanksgiving for a family
Our family lives in Colorado and my mom lives back...
CORoadie
Venice, Florence, Rome
We just returned from a vacation to Italy. Had a great...
foggyj
Hotels with best free breafast....which is best?
It seems as though all hotels have a free breakfast....
robar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™