Cruising around Mediterranean!

HeidiHoHumFebruary 25, 2005

I know I could look into some travel books and I will, but I usually rely on word of mouth for things like this...

My family (me, DH, DS--9 y.o., and DD--7 y.o.) are going on a cruise around the Mediterranean. I would love any hints you could share as to what to see each day while we are in port. We will have about 6 hours in each port with the exception of Greece which will be 12 hours.

Here is our schedule:

depart Genoa, Italy

Naples, Italy

Catania, Italy

Corfu, Greece

Dubrovnik, Croatia

end Venice, Italy

Thanks so much for any advice, opinions, etc!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
holly_bc

Go to Cruise Critic dot com and you'll find tons of info and quite likely even other folks who are cruising with you.
HTH

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 10:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Dubrovnik is unbelievable and is great for walking as it has no cars. Make sure you take a walk on top of the city walls. They also have wonderful handmade silver jewelry which you'll find in shops as you walk the back streets.

I hope that you have more than 6 hours in Venice as you can't begin to see it in such a short time. Besides things like the newly rebuilt opera house and St. Mark's Square, you should consider seeing the art museum that Peggy Guggenheim created in a former palace. There is a tourist center at the train station where you can get deals on things like cheaper tickets for the water taxis and discounts for multiple museums. Go to Murano, the island where most of the blown glass is created. They also have a museum on the history of glass and some of the pieces are more than 2000 years old. And don't eat at the tourist places...find the little hole in the wall places where the locals go for better prices and better food.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Please do not use HomeAway
I'm a frequent commenter here, mostly in the Home Decorating...
tibbrix
Free breakfast.....which hotels have the best food?
It seems that all the hotels have a free breakfast...
robar
Hotels with best free breafast....which is best?
It seems as though all hotels have a free breakfast....
robar
Savannah GA and Hilton Head SC
Had a friend recently tell us about the above two places....
des_arc_ya_ya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™