San Francisco

vannieJanuary 19, 2007

What are the must see places in and around SF?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
over_n_under

Coit Tower.
Golden Gate Bridge.
Ride the street cars (the only 'moving' national monument in the United States).
North Beach for some interesting restaurants.
ChinaTown - not just 'main street' where all the tourists go, though. When you are in the heart of Chinatown, go at least one block off the beaten path and you will see a Chinatown where there are little souveniers, but a lot of the Chinese culture.
And without a doubt, Alcatraz is fascinating, but get your tickets early, way early. If you are looking at visiting in the summer during tourist season, you may want to get your tickets at least a month in advance.
The Wharf - mostly shops these days, but there is a place where you can see the seals hanging out on rafts. You can get within 20 feet of them. You can also get fairly close to some ships that have been permanently docked and there is a submarine tour (for a price).
It is important to know where you are going - you do NOT want to end up in the area called the Tenderloins.

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtdivarocks

Make sure you get a manicure while your there! There's a shop on every corner and the price is right. San Fran is one of the best places for good food. Enjoy! Also, if you go in August, be sure to bring a coat. If not, you can always pick a pretty nice one up in a thrift store for 5 bucks. (Great thrift shopping, lots of hard back books read 1 time for a couple of bucks). Enjoy!! It's one of my favorite cities.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Visiting Alpharetta GA.
Hi, I am visiting Alpharetta GA in couple of weeks...
aaaaaaaa
Venice, Florence, Rome
We just returned from a vacation to Italy. Had a great...
foggyj
Family Friendly Rafting
Hi! We are looking to take our kids ages 6, 9 &...
Supermom74
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Thanksgiving for a family
Our family lives in Colorado and my mom lives back...
CORoadie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™