Our First Cruise - How Do we Carry Money

dexx215January 12, 2005

We are going on our first cruise, Caribbean Princess, to St. Thomas, etc. I'm not worried about looking after our wallets on board, but when we get off ship and go shopping, sight-seeing, on the islands, how do you carry your wallet, credit card, etc. Hubby carries wallet in back pocket, and plans to just wander around like that, but I think pick pockets could do short work of that. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trixietx

We have only gone on Royal Caribbean and there is a safe in the room. We take cash, credit card and travelers checks and put in the safe what we don't think we will need for that day.
We are leaving from San Juan on Jan. 30th. on Adventure of the Seas, our ports are Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Marten and Curacao.
You will love it, or at least we do, this is our third, or almost, last year we were to go out of the port of New Orleans, La. and a tanker and supply ship hit and we could not leave port, we stayed on board for three days and then got a plane home, just one of those things.
But, it is great
My husband carries his wallet and credit cards and cash in his back pocket, I always take a small purse, with a shoulder strap, and that is what I take my cash and credit cards.
Wishing you a wonderful time.

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 12:46AM
dazyjune

Just back from port in Jamaica, Hubby had credit card in wallet, in swim suit pocket in front.

No Problem, Mon!

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 9:18PM
HeidiHoHum

We have been on a couple cruises and each time DH carries his important items (id, cash, credit cards) in his front pants pocket. He usually takes the items out of his wallet if the wallet will be too bulky for the front of his shorts/pants. Being the mother and carrier of all things, I usually use a small purse that can carry the camera (unless we have the cam-corder in its case and then DH carries it), my identification, shopping needs (AKA money!), and of course a fresh water bottle for the thirsties.

If you plan on doing some shopping and getting souveniers etc, maybe considering a backpack or one of those 'messenger bags' that you can wear across your body would work for you. While on vacation, we often carry a backpack with everything in it and just take turns carrying it. That way we can add to our bag when we pick things up along the way, whether they are sea shells or whatever.

Bottom line, we make sure our money or wallets are not easily available to someone who may feel the need to try and scam us with pickpocketing or the bump-and-distract-while-the-other-person-robs-you-blind-scheme!

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 2:11AM
Jonesy

I go to places not quite as safe as a cruise. Our guide advises us how to carry our money and passports. In one city they told the women not to carry purses so I carried one of the nylon pockets around my neck and slipped it inside my blouse. I carry my passport and my extra cash in a money belt around my waist next to my skin. You can't even trust the hotel safes in some of the places I go. I con't call them vacations, I call them adventures...wonderful adventures.

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 11:48AM
mariend

My DH has traveled all over the world and ALWAYS to this day carries his wallet in his front pocket. Talk to the tour guide aboard ship and see what they recommend to carry off ship, etc. Leave as many credit cards, home as you can, as other cards--food discount card etc. He carries only one or two credit cards and NO debit cards. He also carries traveler checks;

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 12:34PM
kudzu9

I've used the nylon pouches for 30 years and never got ripped off. My wife uses the one around her neck that slips inside her blouse. I use one that goes inside your pants and has loops that your belt threads through. Put your credit card, your passport and any large bills inside the pouch, and keep "walking-around" money in your pocket. Leave everything else home.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 3:25AM
More Discussions
Thanksgiving for a family
Our family lives in Colorado and my mom lives back...
CORoadie
Any discounts for Disney?
We've never been. DH and I are taking our son and...
Debbi Branka
Terrible Lake House Vacation Experience... Any Advice?
I posted this on the Home Decorating forum, which I...
bestyears
Family Friendly Rafting
Hi! We are looking to take our kids ages 6, 9 &...
Supermom74
Savannah GA and Hilton Head SC
Had a friend recently tell us about the above two places....
des_arc_ya_ya
Sponsored Products
Foster Indoor/Outdoor Rug 4' x 6' - FIELDSTONE/IVORY
$359.00 | Horchow
Square Faux Leather Coffee Table Ottoman
Overstock.com
Rough Hewn Mirrors
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Reed and Barton Corp Marielle Indigo Covered Sugar - 25216378
$90.00 | Hayneedle
Floral Two-Person Picnic Cooler
$39.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Lattice Fabric
Serena & Lily
Olde Bronze Flush Mount 1-Light
PLFixtures
Delano Two-Light - Polished Chrome with White Etched Cased Glass - Link Wall Sco
$250.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™