Copper artichoke

Pam TakacsJune 8, 2005

I found a roll of copper at the dump, It was dirty and wrinkled. Cut out leaf shapes and glued onto an old BB with Liquid Nails clear. Torched the tips of the leaves. I almost had to fight a guy at the dump, he wanted it and scoffed that a woman would use a piece of copper. Just smiled and said I have been looking for this and have a use for it. Definately my treasure! Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheri_C

Wow, that is really neat. The ideas seem to be endless for those BB. I have some sheets of copper but haven't done anything with them yet. I wanted to use some for roof's on some of my birdhouses. Thanks for the pic!!!

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:32PM
kathi_mdgd

very nice,glad you beat him to it.
Kathi

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:42PM
lydia1959

Very clever idea! Thanks for posting!

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 11:24AM
kacram

VERY VERY VERY COOL!

wow...

we can't take anything from the dump! and dumpster diving and trash picking is illegal!

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 7:17PM
use2bcapecodr

Suuuuwwwweeeeeet!!

~Sandy~

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 8:00PM
Pam Takacs

Thanks ya'll, I am really happy with how it turned out. Love copper anything. Pam

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 10:11PM
coloredthumb

Great BB Artichoke. Love the ripeness and fullness the torched tips give it. You did good!

Let the guy at the dump eat artichoke!

When will they learn women are not the housfraus of old anymore? Still ladies but much more accomplished.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 12:17PM
con22jovi

All I can say is LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! And yes I would be yelling that in a good way. Conni

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 6:20PM
Pam Takacs

No hausfrau here!

There used to be a sign at our dump that said, "No scavenging", I always wanted to take white spray paint and cover the word NO, but someone stole the sign, LOL. The county hasn't bothered to replace it.

Thanks again for all your nice comments. Metal isn't my thing, but I enjoyed it and might try my hand at something else. Pam

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 6:35AM
teacats

Fantastic!!! Really a wonderful piece of craftsmanship! You should send a picture into Country Home magazine!

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 11:26AM
lovesjunk

Very, very nice. Kudos to you.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 7:12PM
socks

Your artichoke looks very good, and you have a perfect base for it. I wonder if it will turn green over time, looking even more realistic. Very nice work.

Are you especially fond of artichokes? Most artichokes are grown here in California, so you can attend the Artichoke Festival in May.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artichoke Festival

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 5:41PM
Ladydesireus

This is absolutely Gorgeous!!! and I want one,......

I am not familiar with rolls of copper.Where does one find this wonderful stuff??? Maybe Michaels???? Also love the post about copper roofs for bird houses..
I am in the process of making a birdhouse village and copper roofs will look great.

Annette in Ga..

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 11:46PM
andrea_san_diego

I just saw rolls of copper at Home Depot in the roofing section.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 12:31PM
Pam Takacs

Thanks again for all the wonderful positive comments!

The copper roll I used was not heavy duty like you might use in roofing. It was about 36 gauge. Considered copper tooling foil. Was able to cut with Fiskars kitchen shears without difficulty. The roll I found had paper on the back to peel off. Not sure what it was originally to be used for, but was evident the roll was old because the tack was gone on the adhesive. You could probably use the roofing copper, but think the gauge is heavier, might need to use tin snips to cut it and I don't know how well it would emboss. I used Clear Liquid Nails for hobbies to adhere the leaves to the ball.

The link provided has the best prices on the web for this stuff. Also use it in my stained glass art. Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper tooling foil

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 2:15PM
pesky1

I LOVE your artichoke. It's gorgeous. I've got an artichoke theme thing going with my fountain and fence finials.

One word of advice...if you're going to leave it out in the elements, the LN will turn brittle. Grrr...I know. I thought I'd found heaven in LN clear, but it DOES NOT like the weather. So keep your gorgeous BB protected. Me, I'd display it right on the dining room table! I have JUST the place for it!!

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 3:18PM
Pam Takacs

Thanks to all for your kind words. Pesky, I have it in a protected area now. Don't know if I would put a bb on the dr table, lol. Pam

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 8:15AM
MagnoliaMommy

WOW! That took some real imagination... it turned out great!

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 10:22AM
diane_swmich

I really love it! I want to make one!
Thanks for sharing!!
Di

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 5:05AM
pattico_gw

Our dump is closed to the public..you just put your stuff on a conveyor belt that takes it back behind "the walls"...I'd love to take a trip behind those wall...cept I think you'd need a gas mask...

I remember (seems like a hundred years ago..) when I was small of going to the dump with my aunt and uncle or maybe it was my Dad...not sure about that...lol..but the dump part is etched on my mind..I loved it way back then....LOL

patti

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™