New use for patio doors??

chickadee__3aJune 1, 2008

We recently replaced patio doors in a bedroom with windows. The 2 sliding doors (wood frame,double glass 6'x3' each) are in reasonably good shape and it seems to me they could be put to good use.They're very heavy. The only thing I could think of is making a table. Do any of you crafty folks have a suggestion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

I think a glass top table would be a great thing to do with the doors. Would it be safe to use something like a sawhorse as ends? I wounder if they would be sturdy enough??? You could nait wooden pieces to the end(s) sides so the glass door sits down inside those wooden pieces and holds it in place. Maybe even another sawhorse in the middle?

You could also use them for a cold frame for plants. Either go all out and make something elaborate with them (check garden mags for ideas) or just prop them up against one another making a teepee with them. Secure them with latches and hooks (?? - you can tell I'm not the handyman around here, LOL)or with something where they touch so they don't fall.

Check out "Robolady" posts and her website. She's got some great ideas for stuff like that. Find one of her posts in this forum and she usually posts a link to her T2T blog.

Sal

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 7:37PM
texasfern

Here chickadee, try this link.
My first thought as someone who likes mosaics and has worked with safety glass, is to break the darn things!
LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: T2T

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:25AM
lefd05

I've seen someone on another forum post a picture of a greenhouse they made with old sliding glass doors. I think there were two on each side. I thought it was pretty cool.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 3:18PM
chickadee__3a

Thanks for the suggestions. We are replacing another set of doors this summer , so I`ll have 4 doors. The greenhouse idea sounds interesting.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 9:48AM
Carol_from_ny

The way things are going with produce in this country it would probably be a good use of the doors to make your own greenhouse or at the very least a green room. If you have a pool you could make a very neat changing room with the doors.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Sponsored Products
Modern Square Ceiling Mounted Shower Arm Brass Fixture Chrome Finish
Hudson Reed
Line Voltage Gimble Ring 765 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$26.50 | Lumens
Playful Pair Pillow
Grandin Road
Recycled Cotton Throw
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Oscar Owl Figure
Grandin Road
Dale Tiffany Cosette Table Lamp
$72.00 | LuxeDecor
Milano Provincial Gold Two-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Semi-Flush Light, 16.5W x
Bellacor
Petunia Flower and Bee Box - MULTI COLORS
$275.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™