trip to paris

foggyjJanuary 16, 2006

Can anyone share with me any hints to being a tourist in Paris? I'm assuming that city is geared to many tourists from all over the world. Do most places speak English if they hear we're having a hard time speaking French? I've gotten a DVD from the library on basic French, but it's not easy.

Would you recommend just using a credit card for everything? Are travelers checks obsolete? I'm concerned about the conversion of money. How can we avoid being ripped off, or doesn't that happen ?

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid

We were there about 8 years ago and used our credit card with no problem. We didn't use our traveler's checks much but they were accepted in most stores. We also used our debit card to withdraw French money from ATM machines.

You can avoid being ripped off when making purchases by familiarizing yourself with exchange rates and carrying a calculator with you.

Most places in the city do have someone who speaks English. I listened to a beginner's language tape ahead of time and learned a few French phrases that meant, "I don't speak French -- do you speak English?" "Where is the bathroom?" "I'm lost," "How much does it cost?" and the numbers.

The most important phrases I learned were for "Please" and "Thank You." Courtesy goes a long way and most people appreciated that I made the effort to be polite and tried to speak the language, however badly.

I love Paris -- there is so much to see and do. Wear comfortable shoes. Even travelling on the Metro subway, which is great, you'll still do plenty of walking while seeing the sights.

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Fall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Our family of 10 wants to rent a cabin in the Fall...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Bucharest late July / early August
My 2 kids and I have the opportunity to meet my husband...
strayerdarb
Thanksgiving for a family
Our family lives in Colorado and my mom lives back...
CORoadie
Key West: Any "must see's"?
Got the condo and plane tickets booked. We have a...
jewelisfabulous
Hawaiian Vacations
My nephew went on a vacation to the Island Of Molokai....
emma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™