Please-??s S. FL Gulf beaches - thanks

gma_jJanuary 11, 2005

Hello - I am the grandma elected to do quick research. Being from snowy N. Idaho, our family of 12, (us grandparents, the kids and grandkids) would like to find some sun the middle of April. We are thinking that the southern Florida gulf beaches might be warm enough as what everyone wants is warmth and a swimming beach that is safe for our little ones, ages 6-9. We are getting a late start in planning this so if anyone has suggestions as to beaches, etc. I would really, really appreciate it. Also, our first choice would be to rent a house so we could all be together. We had also wondered about the Keys? Thank you so much for anything you could help me with. Jeanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dexx215

I'm from the Sarasota Venice area and you will love Siesta beach, a long shallow beautiful sand beach. There's lots to do with the kids in the Sarasota area - Jungle Gardens, water parks, Busch Gardens, etc. The weather will be quite warm in April and the Keys, while expensive, will be even hotter. You will love SW Florida.

Bookmark   January 12, 2005 at 8:41PM
nedraw

Jeanie,

I've stayed at Old Saltworks Cabins on Cape San Blas several times and loved it. The Panhandle may be further north than you want, although I've found it pretty warm in mid April.

Nedra W

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 7:14PM
dayenu

On the panhandle check out Seagrove Beach. Along the west coast of florida Sanibel was always wonderful but I dont know what state it will be in after the hurricane this fall.

Bookmark   January 18, 2005 at 11:03PM
JessyFeldm_speakeasy

Careful! I'm from So. California and went to Tampa last year. I thought I'd have a wonderful beach vacation with kids, warm gulf water. How disappointing to find that the Tampa (not far north from Sarasota and Sanibel) sand and surf was full of broken shells. Not fun to walk on, play in the surf, and bodyboarding is out of the question.

Bookmark   January 22, 2005 at 7:24AM
hannah

Try Anna Maria Island.
That's where I live. :)

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 2:21PM
gma_j

Thanks to all so far - I really, really appreciate the help from each of you. Anyone else's thoughts would also be very much appreciated. Jeanie

Bookmark   January 24, 2005 at 10:03PM
dazyjune

Hi! We love the Ft Myers Beach area. Years ago we rented a condo on the beach, it was a 2 br, with a hideaway couch and it also had roll away beds, plus everything needed to cook with and all the linens, all you needed were groceries, if you wanted to! It's close to Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Great shelling and Ding Darling Nature or Wildlife Preserve~ Have a great time whatever you decide! Can't wait to go back!

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 8:57PM
JerriEllijay

Another thing to think about is local "attractions".

On the gulf coast you can stay at the beaches in Clearwater, St. Petersburg and then head inland an hour to Busch Gardens, 2 hours (+/-) to Orlando which has Disney, Sea World Etc.

Oh, and I LOVE looking for sharks teeth in Venice, I could do it all week!

jerri

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Family Friendly Rafting
Hi! We are looking to take our kids ages 6, 9 &...
Supermom74
Road trip MA to Chattanooga, TN
We are planning a family roadtrip from MA to Chattanooga...
crystalshoe
Key West: Any "must see's"?
Got the condo and plane tickets booked. We have a...
jewelisfabulous
Hotels with best free breafast....which is best?
It seems as though all hotels have a free breakfast....
robar
myrtle beach......winter rental.....extended stay
Could anyone recommend a quality reasonably priced hotel/resort...
robar
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Chevron Light Blue Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Stripe Apple Bear Plush Figurine
$13.99 | zulily
Vistosi | Lacrima SP G Pendant Light
YLighting
Self Adhesive Address Numbers
Signature Hardware
Dogleg Diner Pet Bowl
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Club Collection Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish Swingarm Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Camilla Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 12 in. Orbitor Shade, Galvanized, Frosted Glass, Blac
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™