How to paint table

jagermeisterJune 8, 2006

I was in a furniture store the other day and noticed they had a set of tables painted to look like they were an antique. It looked like they were painted with regular green paint but there was something else that made them look old. Maybe streaks of a dark stain or something? There also was some stenciling.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas or links on how to do something like this? Or any other painting ideas for old wood tables? I have an old wood kitchen table that I'd like to do this with.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheribelle

You can wipe walnut stain over the paint, then wipe it back off. Leave some in the cracks and depressions. If you wipe off too much, do another layer until you get the look you want. Have fun!

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 10:12AM
DixieRedHead

You might try this. I have a coffee table done this way and it looks great. I painted the top a dark olive green then used sander to sand off some of the paint so some of the wood grain shows through. Then I polyurethaned over this. You could stain it darker before you sealed it, but I think would be the look that you are looking for.

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 10:12PM
sweets98

Really you can use ANY kind of stain over paint to make it look old...just depends on how dark you want it to be. Also, as mentioned sanding the edges or little spots here and there makes things look old, too.

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 7:17AM
scarlett2001

You can get crackle paint, too. I found my crackle kit at Home Depot, but hobby and craft stores have them as well.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 5:12PM
mojojojogrlnj

they have antiqueing kits at walmart...they run about 15.00 or you can just get some ivory paint/or a color that you like and a water based stain in a color you like....paint the table then sand where you want it to look aged then apply stain and wipe off...

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 6:44AM
More Discussions
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
Sponsored Products
Trend Silver Wallpaper R1803, double roll
Walls Republic
Catalan Resin Mesh Metal Base Bronze Fabric Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Mango Gray Dupioni Silk Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Steve Silver Wellington 3 Piece Coffee Table Set
Beyond Stores
Zuo Lemon Drop Dining Table
Euro Style Lighting