Turning a dresser into a open shelf piece

Pamelad1June 8, 2004

I have a small red dresser that the drawers are terrible on. The fronts are all pulled loose and the bottoms of the drawers sag. The "shell" is very sturdy and I would like to find a way to turn it into an open shelf that I could use for storage of either books or photos (in decorative storage boxes). Has anyone done this before? Or does anyone know where I can find an "inspiration" piece to show dh?

Thanks,

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kate_Maguire

Here's a link, Pam, though it's not a great pic. Still, it should give your DH an idea. I looked also at DIY, cuz I know I've seen them do the same thing with a dresser, making it a sofa table. Didn't find anything though.

Best,

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Dresser shelves

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 7:51PM
Kate_Maguire

Funny, Pam, that Decorating Cents show with the dresser turned bookcase was just on. It should repeat next Sunday (June 13) if you're interested.

Kate

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 9:32PM
kathi_mdgd

Also check HGTV,i've seen Joan Steffen do something like this also.
Kathi

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 9:34PM
Bee_Happy

Another idea is to put solid bottoms in the empty drawer spaces, then use baskets inside them. I love this look! I've seen some pieces like that at Pottery Barn.

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 11:05PM
Pamelad1

Thanks Kate,
Amazingly enough, I happened to catch that episode right after I posted here. It's almost like the trash to treasure gods were working for me.

Thanks again,
Pam

Bookmark   June 10, 2004 at 10:43AM
Jeanine55

Funny, I was at an antique shop yesterday and the owner had a dresser with the top drawer missing that she found in an ally. She put a shelf in the opening and painted the whole thing a kind of indian red. Said she was just going to use it in the store for display but someone wanted to buy it. Is was very nice looking. I am taking a second look at that ugly dresser in the spare room that my kids carved their names on the top. Post a picture if you do it.

Bookmark   June 11, 2004 at 3:39PM
CandyWA

I think it would look awesome if you hinged two old, wood framed windows on the front to be used as cabinet doors.

Bookmark   June 13, 2004 at 2:38AM
lizardsally

At that link Kate sent - they spent $20 at a garage sale for a chest of drawers that was already missing a couple of drawers and then spent another $33 to turn it into a shelf??? YIKES! They should have consulted us first, huh?

Both the two big ones I use in my bedroom cost $15 (from 2 different rummage sales) and are in great condition - no missing drawers and made of real wood!

Here is a link that might be useful: EXPENSIVE shelves!!

Bookmark   July 13, 2004 at 12:31PM
paulacat

I made a nightstand into a tv stand by removing the top drawer and replacing it with a piece of wood to make a shelf. I also cut a round hole in the back for cable wires. The vcr fits perfectly in the space where the drawer was. I left the bottom drawer for video tape storage. Painted the whole thing. It looks great and is very functional.

Bookmark   July 13, 2004 at 12:53PM
erinb02

i have an old dresser in my bathroom that we took the three bottom drawers out of. in this space i store my towels. in the two remaining top drawers i store facecloths, soap, etc.
my aunt bought on of those old wooden floor model tv's with the tv removed. she painted it, put a shelf in it, placed baskets inside to hold videos, coloring books, etc, and uses it as a tv. stand. i am now on the look out for an old floor model tv. :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2004 at 10:06AM
craftylady_MA

I saw an article about putting some of the drawers upside down in the dresser. taking out the inside deviders. I believe it was alternating with drawers being used as a smaller space for small spaces for flat items..I will try to find article.Craftylady_Ma.

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
metal frame swing redo
I have a metal frame swing that had canvas seat and...
lori022
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™