LED bar getting really hot?

Maria33904May 21, 2013

I'm trying to pick out UCL for our kitchen remodel. At the moment I have two different bars at home. One from Home Depot (Hampton Bay I think) and High Brightness Premium LED from Environmental Lights. And this is what's really puzzling me - the one from Environmental (a 12" bar 240 lumen output) gets really hot when plugged in. Hot enough that I can't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds and I can feel some heat throught the bottom of my cabinet. The other bar from HD also gets warm but not this hot. I thought LED bars are suppose to be cool to the touch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wi-sailorgirl

Yeah, something seems wrong there. LEDs are definitely not supposed to be hot.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 4:46PM
snookums2

Sounds more like halogen. I have some powerful LED worklights and they are not at all hot. None of my other LED lights are either, including lightbulbs.

I would not use hot lighting there. It will be uncomfortable too.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 4:51PM
attofarad

Maria, into what are you plugging the light bar?

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 4:59PM
Maria33904

The test kit I ordered from Environmental Lights came with a 12" bar and a power cord. I have it plugged into a normal kitchen outlet.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 5:38PM
meyersdvm

I purchased LED GU 10 bulbs for my range hood. One of the bulbs kept going out and it was very hot. The other bulb was fine. I switched the bulbs to the opposite side to make sure it wasn't my light fixture and the same thing happened. I replaced the bulb and so far so good. Must have been a defective bulb.
Maybe you have a similar thing happening?

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 6:36PM
jakuvall

Most LEDs use "drivers" to supply the lower DC voltage needed. Drivers get warm, possible the one that is hot uses a transformer? Though I thought none used those anymore. Transformers are hotter. I don't know the technical differance, just the practical reality. The LED bulbs themselves don't get very hot.
I prefer systems with remote drivers.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:51PM
Maria33904

Thank you so much for your responses. I plugged both bars into a different outlet in the kitchen and they did not get hot like before, just a bit warm. Is warm acceptable or should LED's be completely cool to the touch? My husband tested the first outlet with some of his electrical testing gadgets and said it was fine. I've used that outlet daily for 10 years and never had any issues whatsoever. Not sure what was causing the Environmental bar to get so hot. I've read many posts on this forum from people who have these lights and been very happy with them.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 10:10PM
a2gemini

They do create heat, so warm is normal.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 6:30AM
More Discussions
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™