Sources for decorative metal grill pieces

linnea56June 30, 2009

IÂm looking for some metal grill pieces (I donÂt know the proper name for these. ) I see them offered in stores like Hobby Lobby, as "Metal wall art", but canÂt find the width I need, which is around 6 inches wide. Ideally about 30 inches long, but if they happened to be shorter, and I had several, I could just stack them into a frame or screw them onto wood.

I want to fill in extra space in a wood project, about 6 inches wide by 31 high, and thought some green or bronze patinaed metal would look nice with the dark stained wood. Original color doesnÂt really matter, I can always paint it.

The nearest architectural salvage place is hours away, so I need either a store or the internet.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm posting to a few forums since I don't know who might use these in their projects.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leveta

Go to Junk Revolution and ask there also...

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 9:52PM
concretenprimroses

Hi, I went to ebay and typed in metal grate in search and got a bunch of things. Here is one of them. If you added 6" to the search you would narrow it to more of what you want, but you might miss some too.
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal grates on ebay

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 11:49AM
justgotabme

Home Depot has grills (or whatever they are called) in metal thats often used in making those old fashioned heater covers. I can't even think of the name of them right now. Maybe I should just go to bed. At our HoDe they are at the end of one of the lumber aisles next to the window order desk.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 9:39PM
linnea56

Thanks. This is more the idea IÂm looking for, rather than the floor register type grill. This general type of thing, though not 10" wide like this is. ThatÂs part of the problem, if you do a search for metal "grille" or "grill" you get mostly the wrong kind. But those 4 inch ones on Ebay could be a backup.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall grill style

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 10:01PM
leveta

Sometimes HL has them on sale cheap. If you have one near you may want to check there...

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:19AM
linnea56

I've been to Hobby Lobby. Nothing rectangular. Seeing all the decorative metal there was where I got the idea. I'm not sure if all their stores carry the same stock: if its worth checking other stores.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 3:25PM
steiconi

is there a Ross store in your area? They often carry metal wall art pieces.
You might also check garden departments of HD or Lowe's for trellises and fence pieces that might work.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 4:49AM
laney-bug

Hey if you are like me I love wrought iron, just found a site I spent an hour just looking a drooling.
King Architectural Metals 1-800-542-2379

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 11:26PM
pattytricia

If you are still looking,I saw something like that at Big
Lots. And it was about $20. It might save you money.

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 3:56PM
Marlene Kindred

You might also try in the garden section of Lowe's. Last year, I got a couple of small trellises for about $2.00 each during their clearance sale.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™